So what SMS options do we have besides AT&T's Rapage?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Dorfdad, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

Just jailbroke my iphone4 4.01 :) Thanks COMEX and Devteam! Categories is now back working :)

I called AT&T and found my wife is using the SMS like a freak with all her friends and family. AT&T Wants $30.00 for unlimited texting since were a family plan and I was wondering if there was some third party universal SMS alternative free or very cheap compared to AT&T?

I'm not looking for skype or Instant messenger apps as this requires everyone to have them. I want a universal SMS so different phone/carriers can send and receive both text and image based SMS.

Thanks in advance for your replies well some of you :)

2. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

with aim you can send free messages to any cell phone and they can reply to you from their phones. skype lets you send texts to phones, but not receive them (your skype number is treated as a landline). google voice allows you to send and receive texts for free, but i prefer aim honestly.

3. huskerchad macrumors regular

Not even a hack--you can use Google Voice to do this for free. Their web interface has a pretty good mobile version that works fine from the iPhone. You can also forward them to your gmail, sync that, and reply to the emails to send a text response.

Biggest downside is no MMS.

4. nygfan80 macrumors regular

5. Dorfdad thread starter macrumors 6502

GV is a website no? I mean this would only allow me to send messages (not sure how though) so when I close the page I wont get new SMS messages..

Im just looking for a replacement for the Apple SMS app something that will allow me to save $30.00 a month!!

US text's only we do not do international messaging.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You can set it up so text msg go to your email, and then you just replay to the email and they will see it as text.

there isn't a really clean solution since most app you can get won't run in the background so you won't get instant notification, some of them have push.

If you decided to jailbreak. there are some alternatives as well.... including a great GVoice app with PUSH enable for SMS