So what to do about internet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iLucas, Jun 11, 2011.

1. iLucas macrumors 6502

Hello all, hopefully someone out there can help me out.

At&t has finally been fed up with me and tethering and they have now updated my plan to 4GB. My ONLY internet source that i am aware of is my tethering and I used it for netflix/gaming and everything else on all my devices, using around 15~20GB a month. I have been using my tethering feature for awhile, even before at&t offered it. I understand i might get some hate from some you, saying that people like me is why at&t has this 4GB limit now, but i dont know what other options I have.
    Now, I'm not sure what to do. I'd have to cancel netflix(which is my only tv/movie source) and i'd probably have to slow down on gaming, which is what I do when i'm off work and not watching netflix. There is no DSL in my area. There is hardly any satellite internet in my area, one in particular is painfully slow and has a low bandwidth cap, even worse then 4GB.

I am a CS major that will be starting college in the fall, and I live about 40 minutes from my university that has nice internet. It's going to cost around $125 a month to drive there. I could live on the campus for ~$400 a semester if i shared a room with 4 people, which i'm not sure if i'd like that much. My job only pays me minimum wage, so buying a cheap house would be to much money. I put back the majority of my money from my job to help towards my college tuition.

What would you do in my situation?

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I'd stop whining. If you can't afford something, you don't get it. Regardless of the UN saying the internet is a basic human right, it's not.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Once you start college you'll probably be too busy for gaming or watching much TV so use your school Internet for schoolwork, and 4GB should be enough for the rest of your needs.