So what was the purpose of 1.1.4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steven Jackson, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

A couple of weeks ago, Apple quietly released iPhone software 1.1.4. It didn't seem to add anything new, but most people here assumed it was released in preparation for the SDK and downloadable apps.

Well, it seems we have to wait 'till June for the apps, which will require iPhone software 2.0 (for the App Store).

Well, if 1.1.4 wasn't needed for the SDK, and it didn't add anything new, what DID it do? I guess it really was just bug-fixes, but I can't seem to find a list here (or anywhere else) that lists the bugs fixed.

And another thing: people are already downloading the SDK and I guess people will begin coding apps straight away... Will they really have to wait 'till June (which probably means July) to start delivering them? Is there a possibility, maybe, that we will get some apps, via iTunes, before June?

Steve.

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

From what I can see, really nothing. But they say it fixed some known bugs and probably introduced about a million others... JK. :)

3. igglepuff macrumors regular

114 was bug updates. it even kept the same name as 113 did, its just a new build. 2.0 is needed fo rhte store, however, 113 had the framework for teh sdk built in apprently.. they have to wait till june to deliver via the store, you can manually (somehow) do it now im sure, ie: sftp with a jailbroken phone maybe.

i dont see any possibility of then releasing anything via teh store sooner then 2.0 for the app store.

4. maverickuk macrumors member

To create hype perhaps?

To fill us with hope, to let us down? who knows :)

5. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Well from what i can tell it added a progress bar in mail.app and re-locked hactivated phones.

That seems to be about it.

The safari thing wore off in about a day for me and I never had that rare sms issue.

maybe apple just wanted to mess with us.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Just as it stated when you installed the update, it was bug fixes. Do you think Apple wasn't telling the truth there?

7. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

It just didn't seem to fix many bugs. Is there a list somewhere?

Steve.

8. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I am sure in the release notes of the download there was.... there usually is whenever new software is release for any product. download the update and check it out. it will say: "Fixed: blah blah blah"

Get me? ;)

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It fixed bugs. You may not have been experiencing any of those bugs but obviously, some people were.

One of the bugs I had with 1.1.3 was in pairing up my Garmin GPS to my iPhone. It no longer paired up after 1.1.3. 1.1.4 fixed the problem. See what I mean?

10. BigDaddy5 macrumors member

I couldn't bond it with my car's bluetooth system either, it constantly disconnected when I tried to dial. Now it works again, thank goodness. I was hours away from calling Apple for the 5th time and refusing to hang up until they fixed it.

11. srent5 macrumors member

srent5

What do you mean a progress bar in the mail.app? A progress bar while sending or receiving (downloading), because that has always been there?

12. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

All I can say is that in1.1.3 my youtube worked fine and after the 1.1.4 it does not work! Any one else have that problem?

13. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

1.1.4 definately did something, they are not going to release an update just for the laugh that does nothing.

I have noticed my iPhone operates far more smoothly now and doesnt drop the cell data network on me like in 1.1.3

It generally feels more optimised and stable.

I think 1.1.4 was what 1.1.3 should have been, but with Macworld round the corner they needed to have something to demonstrate and give out so they put out 1.1.3 not quite finished but more than good enough to distribute.

14. jlbrown23 macrumors member

Exchange

I just noticed that there is an "Exchange" button in 1.1.4 when you go to the email account setup. Does anyone know if that was there with 1.1.3? Since Apple just announced Exchange support at the SDK release last week, it seems strange that it would have been there before that, and maybe they were getting it in place for use ASAP.

15. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Not me . . . You Tube works fine. Maybe something else is going on with your iPhone.

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I know that I am on the iPod touch and not the phone, but on my touch, images of pages tend to stay there instead of turning white in Safari (when flipping between window pages. It also improved the graphics which were occasionally choppy, but once again, this is on the touch and not on the phone.

17. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

I have definitely noticed more application (mostly Safari) crashes with 1.1.4 . :mad:

18. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

I had to reestablish pairing with my handsfree Bluetooth system after 1.1.4.

That would have been an extremely long phone call -- surely long enough to exceed your monthly minutes. :p

19. sadilak macrumors member

I developed a few IPod Touch applications and was able to test it in the ipod touch, Maybe , this was facilitated by the 1.1.4 fix.

20. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

anyones MAPS not working? everytime i search for something it crashes

OH and i phoned O2 today for something and he was giving me directions on my phone to some setting and stuff, and the thing he was looking for i couldnt find on my iPhone and was like "yeah its not there" and he was like "oops, O2 mustnt have updated their system to 1.1.4 yet. sorry"

O2 get your skates on!!