So what will iPad v2 have that v1 hasn't...?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrMister111, Jun 6, 2010.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

Now iPads out what do people think would be in iPad v2? I'm not talking about wishes from users I'm talking about what Apple will realistically add/upgrade to it. Also do you think it will be about summer 2011 when it willbe out?

Here's my thoughts..

Hardware
    • A camera, maybe even front facing for video chat
    • More memory
    • SD slot for direct access for camera memory cards
    • GPS in the WiFi only model

Software
    • Ability to tag photos after copying from camera, eg faces, places etc so when sync back to Mac they are already done.
    • Make it more of a productivity, more laptop-esque for business

2. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

* A rubber case or rubber edges

* A central filesystem for sharing of files between apps. Even if this is not exposed to the user, I don't know why they don't have this now.

3. sandyjmacdonald macrumors 6502

i agree with the SD slot.

Disagree that they'll make it more "laptop-esque". Why would they cannibalise sales of their MacBooks? The iPad is a different beast altogether, and they shouldn't change that.

4. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

They do have this now, but programs must announce to the OS what file types they can handle and not all programs do (source).

Faster processors and more RAM seem inevitable. Although if you lived through the days when computers came with 32KB of RAM this does not seem so important.

I have no desire to pay for a front facing camera or a camera card slot that you can add now if you want it. If the new iPhone is a video phone, as expected, Apple will see how that works out first. Even given the size of the iPad I would rather have a rear facing camera. Low priority.

A wifi iPad with a GPS is for the most part an iPad 3G. Since you don't have to pay for 3G if you don't want to, why blur the distinction between the two models by adding the cost of GPS to the wifi model.

The top priority for Apple is to make the iPad independent of any computer. That means the ability to store and backup files to something like Moble.me or Time Capsule and printing. Also more functional iWork for iPad applications.

Enhancements to the OS are what I expect first, which means the iPad you buy today will be even better next year. That always pleases people.

6. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Upgraded processor, possibly double core.
    512mb ram
    Double the storage at each price point
    Maybe a front facing camera and/or rear camera depending on what we see in the iPhone 4 tomorrow.

Most important software change will be syncing with iPhone and iPod touch launch in time for iphone os5. There'll be the usual upgrades in performance but we need to see the iPad release of os4 before we comment on that.

Maybe cloud sync to iTunes but that'll depend on other services launching in the meantime so we'll have to see how that goes.

Release date first half of 2011, most likely April as there's a gap in Apple's product cycle around then.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Longer battery life

dual core processor

hsda+

front facing camera

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

due to the awkwardness of taking pictures, i don't think the ipad will ever get a rear camera. a front-facing one seems like a given, though, as are a faster processor and more ram.

i also predict a combining of the two ipad lines. no more separate wifi and 3g models. it will just be the 3g ipad; the only decision will be whether the user activates data or not. this would also give apple an excuse for not dropping the ipad's price below $499 (another prediction).

9. RobBookPro macrumors regular

No way apple will add an SD card slot.

Even though this would not happen, I would love to see the device become water tight. Lose the speaker. Give the dock connector and headphone Jack rubber sealed plugs so that the device can survive a spill. Even better would-be to remove all ports and go wireless everything, including charging.

Realistically, I think we will see speed and memory bumps and that is it for hardware. What apple really has to do is provide even more opportunity for app devs on the software side of things.

10. doobry macrumors regular

- Front facing camera - A must.
    - Rear facing camera, put the lens inside the apple logo if you have to. Wouldn't stick out then. I watched a whole store full of ipads being used for a real racing HD face off earlier (great advertising, though they had no stock;)) so if people aren't afraid to do that, taking pictures with the thing won't worry them! (or me!)
    - Apple logo that lights up, like the macbook. I don't care if it wastes battery, make it configurable if you must.. Doing that, you could even make it the flash for the camera too! ;)
    - SD card slot you can use for expansion, if you did this, you'd have to use the camera kit to import/view pics.
    - the wackiest idea? The docking port at the bottom.. Make it pop outable and give it a 20cm cable reel inside so I can use it with docking stations for other things.. That or launch an extension cable that goes male to female 30 pin port..

Cheers!

11. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    second gen will only get a software update, that can be applied to the first 20 million that were sold as well. We don't want to piss off 20 million people all at once now do we???:cool:

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

They definitely won't include an SD card slot - that'd break up the design even more than the SIM card does already. Plus, as not everyone wants to hook up an SD card, it'll always be an optional extra.

I think we'll see a front facing camera to go with the iPhone's enhanced videocall capabilities, a storage bump (32/64/128gb), a RAM bump, a CPU bump…but the design itself is set.

13. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

You mean like the iPhone 3G to 3GS ? Apple is in the hardwRe business to make money, making new hardware every year is the way to do that.

Software updates will help people forget there unit is old news

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Camera - maybe, but it's not real useful unless you have it on a stand @ 90 degrees. Otherwise you are going to look like a creepy halloween character.

More memory - probably a given. Faster processor too.

SD slot - never. ever.

(real) GPS in WiFi model - doubt it. There has to be something to differentiate the 3G model other than 3G, especially now that the unlimited plan is gone and the new plans are not that great.

Phototagging - there are already apps to do that, but the Photos apps could use some more sophistication. It feels very much like a 1.0 app.

Making it more "laptop-esque" - not really sure what you mean by this. A tablet is by its very nature and anti-laptop.

My guess is that iPad 2.0 will be similar to iPhone 2.0 (3G), i.e., basically the same hardware, just speed bumped.

15. JulianL macrumors 65816

I think second gen will just be front facing camera and CPU upgrade to whatever is Apple's latest A<whatever> at the time (which, since the RAM is packaged with the CPU, will probably include a doubling of the RAM). Depending on how prices move in the Flash market they may or may not increase the 16/32/64GB capacity bands. Software will track the latest OS release at the time.

The third gen is where it might get really interesting if they do what we think they're going to do with the iPhone tomorrow, namely quarduple the pixel count which equates to a doubling of the dpi to a level comparable with the printed page (300 dpi). Since the iPad is aiming to be a content delivery device and compete with printed media then it is crying out for this resolution jump but it's prohibitively expensive right now and might well still be next year but in 2012 for a third generation device it's a distinct possibility.

Regarding battery life I get a good 12 hours from my usage, maybe more, so if the electronics gets more and more efficient and/or battery technology improves then I'm a bit conflicted about how to use those benefits. You can never have too much battery life but I also think that the current iPad could do with losing 200 grams or so to make it just that bit more comfortable to hold for extended periods so I'd be tempted to keep the battery life the same, or very marginal sub 10% improvements, and exploit better power characteristics by reducing the battery capacity to save weight.

- Julian.

16. WLS macrumors 65816

Apple almost always does incremental upgrades on established products.
    You can dream but realistically for Gen 2 :
    Comes with OS4
    Has an improved A4 chip with 512MB Ram and maybe a speed bump.
    Might have 32 MB flash standard.
    Might have Verizon G4 Version.
    Battery may have another 10% life improvement.

17. newdeal macrumors 68020

They will probably add a camera which to be honest i could not care less about. They will probably give it a speed bump which would be fine although it's fast enough as it is but as hey add more features a speed bump will be good. Also they will probably add more ram which would be nice as when multitasking comes out in 4.0 it will probably take a bit of a hit on the ram. Alough i am not sure it will take a huge hit because it almost seems like it's not true multitasking but some different system that will probably not hammer he ram so much. As far as i a concerned the main ing that the ipad needs is cheaper accessories. Fourth bucks for a dock is ridiculous

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know exactly, but please add a Finder and USB.

19. lillianad macrumors member

+1

20. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Do you guys really use a front facing camera that much? Or is the media asking for this?

What good would GPS be without Internet to down load and refresh the maps? Chances are if you are near WiFi you know where you are?

For what it is designed for, and the way many use it, I don't see the iPad as lacking at all. 2MM+ in sales kinda backs me up.

And, for those missing the file systems, those need to go away soon, data needs to be stored in the cloud and accessed and used by applications as they see fit. The days have organizing folders and file types etc, need to go away. Lets think forward, not try to enhance the past.

21. Arnia macrumors member

And for me that would be the worst thing they could do :)

My biggest problem with iPhone OS is that it still works on the apps-and-files metaphor. This leads to data that is silo'd in vertical stacks of functionality. A graph-oriented semantic system, like Haystack, that is organised according to human-natural categories (rather than machine oriented file types) with services that declare themselves over these types (see UI Continuations for an example of a clever idea based on this) would be far preferable for me.

Of course, there may be other ways to reorganise things. But 'files', or even 'documents', aren't an essential part of a user interface. I would love to see something move us to a higher-level metaphor that is closer to how you and I conceptualise things in thought and speech.

22. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

I agree and hope that's it may not change much

what I meant be laptop-esque was to sort of not replace but be a via le option for a laptop replacement, eg for business users to say "ok don't need full laptop power today, will take my iPad" or is this possible now?

Can you tell me the apps currently availble for iPhone or iPad that allow you to tag faces,places and keywords and then sync back to iPhoto when you reconnect your iPhone/iPad please?

Cheers

23. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

As mentioned forward camera I believe will happen after the iPhone gets one.

Def can say the ipad will NOT get a SD card slot. Several reasons. Apple SELLS capacity 16gb - 32gb $100 ... Why would they let you add that yourself for less with a sd card. iPad camera connection kits are a month and a half back ordered and that's also $ to them ... So no way on the sd slot.

24. Guntis macrumors member

Guntis

Screen

I'd be happy with higher resolution screen. I don't think they need to go as high as Retina Display (330 ppi) resolution, but something around 220-240 ppi would be great, especially for books and magazines. iPad as reading device needs higher resolution screen.