So whatever this new Iphone is...I am switching to Verizon...quick question!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Texxy, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

Hey guys so I still have an AT&T Iphone 3GS and have been waiting for the new Iphone "5" or whatever it is before I make the switch.

My question is, I have an update obviously and was curious...should I buy the Iphone "5" form AT&T and than leave my contract? Or how does it work? Won't I get charged a fee of leaving anyway before an upgrade or using the upgrade? Is it cheaper since I am eligible or an upgrade?

Also how do I exactly make the switch on release day? My whole family has a plan on Verizon and I will just be joining. Sorry for the confusing.

Thank you! :)

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You can not take an AT&T phone and put it on the Verizon network, so I don't know what you would want to buy the next iPhone then cancel your contract.

but to answer your question, it would be the price of the phone (I'm assuming $199) + 325 ETF. Also, you have to wait 31 days to cancel your contract to be able to keep the phone, If you try to cancel within the first 30 days you would need to return your iPhone back to AT&T or they will charge you the full price of the iPhone (which I think is $599).

3. Clcross18x macrumors member

Do NOT upgrade on AT&T if your planning to port your number out to Verizon. It'll just extend your contract.

On launch day, you and the account holder of the Verizon account will want to go in the store, give them your AT&T account number and billing password, and that's it. You buy the phone for whatever the 2 year price is and your out the door. If you plan to pre-order, then you can do most of that online. Once the port is complete, your AT&T account will be automatically canceled.

That being said, I was planning to get the Verizon version myself, mainly because us AT&T employees usually are prohibited from buying the phone when it launches. So it would be an easy way for me to get around that restriction. The new rumor of it having support for HSPA+ has me rethinking that though.

4. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

you might want to hold out joining Verizon not unless 500kps to 1mps is okay to you.

Claims of the iPhone 5 supporting HSPA+ surfaced earlier this year, with many noting that the move would result in a significant network speed difference between AT&T and Verizon/Sprint customers in the United States. AT&T has rolled out the intermediary HSPA+ technology as a bridge to LTE, and has been calling HSPA+ "4G" in its marketing -- though many believe "3.5G" is a more accurate description. So, existing AT&T iPhone 4 owners upgrading should be able to see a speed boost if they live in a supported area. In comparison, Verizon's data speeds max out a theoretical maximum of 3.1 Mbps. Meanwhile, true 4G (LTE) support for both Verizon and AT&T is not expected until the 2012 iPhone model at the earliest.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/29/iphone-5-to-support-21-mbps-hspa-4g-technology/

5. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

you might want to seriously consider leaving at&t unless not being able to make or receive calls is ok "to" you

6. curitibagarrett macrumors member

^This is hogwash....it depends on where you live for what network will be better for you. Verizon sucks where I live where ATT is awesome.

7. aohus macrumors 68000

well, you live in NY. AT&T is notoriously bad in the city.

8. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

Supposedly hspa+ speeds are incredibly few and far between on ATT. I've been using them for over 2 years and they gotta go. Besides, hspa+ is not something that should convince you either way. Just go into a Verizon store with the account holder and have them add a line or you do an add a line over the preorder. Add a line preorder is best I think. Keep the old one until it's all setup then cancel and sell that thing. Do not do anything with ATT except cancel your service and don't let people convince you to stick with something that hasn't worked for you just because they say a random untested feature may or may not make your phone experience better. The connectivity with ATT is bad for some people, myself included. Not all though. I can't wait to switch.

9. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

lol relax at&t fanboys, my reply was a sarcastic remark to the poster above my post about at&t. i have used both and they each have their pros and cons

10. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

I am leaving AT&T that was not the question. The question was could I get an Iphone before I leave my contract and go sell it somewhere :rolleyes::p