Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joegomolski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2006
So CA
Lots of hopeful thinking about a price for a MBP Ultra.

Personally I can't see one going out the door for less than the 15" is now. And possibly more.

When Apple releases a cutting edge product, there's always a premium factor added to it's price.

The ultra won't be in competition with the 2 existing MBPs, because it will fill a unique spot in the Mac lineup.

And its price will be set to reflect the all consuming passion of early adoptees.

We, we mighty few, er numerous, will buy it because we want it, we want to be noticed, we want to congratulate ourselves for being futuristic.

It's like an ego thing.

So what do you all think?

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
MBP 13.3'' is pointless.

Make it 11 or 12.

The issue there I think would be that in order for it to be thin enough to be called an Apple laptop, and yet still powerful enough to be called a Pro, it would need to refute the Laws of Thermodynamics. The 15.4" MacBook Pro doesn't exactly run cool... and you are talking about a 11-12" shell? even if they get rid of the optical drive, I'm just not sure how they would be able to fit a decent graphics card into a 12"

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
To be honest, I think this smaller MBP will be somewhere between the black MacBook and the 15" MBP. Wasn't the 12" PB cheaper than the 15" PB, too?

My guess is it will start at €1699,- ($1799,- in the USA).

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
MBP 13.3'' is pointless.

Make it 11 or 12.

Why? You can have a full size keyboard on a 13, you can easily get a thinner bezel than what exists on the MacBooks, and alu case to improve weight. Personally I find the 15" MBP just a little too big for travel, and the 13" MB a little too heavy.

Smaller, lighter MBP sounds good to me.

Anyway, to the OP, it'll start at $1799 / £1099, which represents an inbetween between the MacBooks and MacBook Pros, but shows that it's less powerful than an MBP, but more portable than an MB

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Can you define "decent" graphics card? Keep in mind, if this comes in at such a small size (11"-13"), it isn't meant to be graphics intensive. It will likely have an integrated card.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Can you define "decent" graphics card? Keep in mind, if this comes in at such a small size (11"-13"), it isn't meant to be graphics intensive. It will likely have an integrated card.

The 12" PB had a dedicated 64mb GeForce, I think? 128MB in this one, then. With the 15 inches seeing 256mb as standard.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007

Probably an 8400M. Although, a new LG 13.3" notebook that was announced just today apparently has an 8600GS, so who knows.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
What if they made it lik 800 and made it a really portable, but low powered computer? LED + those low voltage processors = 8 hr battery life and 2 lbs.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
I would think either Integrated or the 8400M gs

It would almost certainly have to be a dedicated card rather than integrated. Otherwise, it'd be identical to the MacBook in specs. The only thing setting them apart would be the (supposed) aluminum casing and backlit keyboard.

deggs37

macrumors member
May 23, 2006
Ohio
You guys are forgetting one important thing. There is going to be a smaller/cooler/newer chipset releasing.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
who said its going to be a 13" MBP? I'd expect it to be a 3rd line:

macbook
macbook pro
macbook nano..or something

Smurfed

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Hmmm, somehow the whole Apple buying the 13.3 displays might just seem a "green move" nevertheless they might have also bought a 12 (or any other smaller size) screen for an upcoming "notebook". I see as a possibility a thin aluminum enclosure, smaller screen than the MB, no optical drive, either ssd or hybrid drive, a 1.3mp isight, 802.11n wireless, "modest" nvidia graphics card, same ports as always, new keaboard layout (different from MBP, like the new iMacs one) some use of iPhone/iTouch technology (multi-touch, sensors)etc. Lets just hope Apple rolls out a great product as always.

-Victor

caffeeneaddict

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
im hoping for 13.3" personally, and I'd price it at about $1700(US) but I would love to see a MacBook Shuffle no screen, yet full keyboard and full OS X. Then life would truly be random :p

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
im hoping for 13.3" personally, and I'd price it at about $1700(US) but I would love to see a MacBook Shuffle no screen, yet full keyboard and full OS X. Then life would truly be random :p

OS X? For all you know, it could be loaded with OS 9 :eek:

I guessed $1799 as the BlackBook's $1499 and the low MBP's $1999... seemed the happy middle ground. People not interested in a lighter alu machine and dedicated graphics will not front the extra $300, and people not satisfied with the specs can spend another $200 but lose their portability.

Tshapi

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2007
Slightly off topic,
Since it is official that apple has order some 10,000 or so 13.3" BLU's

i would believe this means that Apple has a prototype. which means that they finally came up with an answer regarding the optical drive.

The real question? what are the stats on the prototype?

Right now apple has two lines, the pro line for creative types and the consumer line for the general public.

I noticed, apples laptops are on the high end of the line. even the macbook is 2-2.2 ghz now, that is close to the high end of most consumer lines seeing as they start at 1.6 or 1.8 or so.

the reason why the UP MB is 13 inch is because of the processor.

if you look at all the current UP's you will see there processors range from 1.06 to 1.8 at the highest, their sizes are generally 11 or 12 inches with a few being 13" the 13" such as the R500, is 1.6 -1.8 if i am not mistaken.

Apple is making it 13" so they can put the fastest processor possible in it.

As for price, we have to look at categories.

Mac currently has lines for:
Consumer- MB
Creative pro- MBP

This line:
Corporate exec.- UP MBP

I think this UP MBP is being designed to give the thinkpad a run for it's money.

think about it (no pun intended)

what is the number one selling laptop for business? I believe it is the Thinkpad? or DELL? correct me if i am wrong.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
the the prices of ultra portables these days (or ever), i wouldn't be surprised to see a 13" macbook pro costing as much or more than a base 15" model. portability costs money; pricing doesn't always vary directly with size.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
...Mac currently has lines for:
Consumer- MB
Creative pro- MBP...

HAH! Completely ignorant. How about, instead of associating the word "Pro" in marketing with a commercial professional consider that the MacBook Pro is simply a cool looking, high performance laptop used by likely most purchasers to surf the web and watch movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.