So whats actually slowing the iphone down?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jdaniel, Apr 17, 2011.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

So I have 4.3.1 JB using pwnage tool no problems, I frequently restore when I encounter issues, no problems there either it is part and parcel of trying out apps, sometimes they just screw things up.

So this is the list I gathered from Pkgbackup and well some are plain apps that you run, those are fine bcoz when you dont run them they are not working in the background, what I am wondering about is the tweaks that appear in the settings menu, those dont appear as running apps, so how do I know they are not actually running in the background and slowing things down.

I have encountered some issues, when out of the blue the phone will get laggy and I would have to do a hard reboot. At least once a day I think. So if anyone can point out any buggy apps/tweaks that they have encountered on my list that would be great. THANKS

AptBackup
    ChatPic
    Cyntact
    Fake Operator
    FBphotoSave
    FolderCloser
    GPower Pro
    GroupSend
    iBlacklist
    iFile
    Infinifolders
    Installous 4
    iSHSHit
    LibWeather
    Lockdown Pro
    MarkThatMessage
    MobileTerminal
    MultiIconMover
    MyOS
    No Bookmarks
    NoSpot
    OpenSSH
    PkgBackup Cracked
    PrivaCy
    Pull To Refresh for Mail
    Pull To Refresh Safari
    Remove Background
    Safari Tab Closer
    SBAdBlockToggle - installed but not running.
    SpringFlash
    Synchronicity
    WeatherIcon
    Base Structure
    cy+cpu.arm
    cy+kernel.darwin
    cy+lib.corefoundation
    cy+model.iphone
    cy+os.
    ios
    iOS Firmware
    iPhone Firmware (/sbin)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Over 40 packages.
    I'd cut it down and just install the ones you really use and need.

3. xyfish macrumors member

i felt that lockdown pro lags mine, so i deleted it and went with locktopus. just my thoughts :rolleyes:

4. GonzagaDynasty macrumors regular

I was also extremely frustrated with my phone after installing 4.3.1 and JBing with Red Sn0w. I wasn't sure what the problem was, so I just cleaned out my cydia packages. delete anything you don't need/use. (you can always add it later if you want it.) It seemed to help a lot.

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Performance draining packages:
    GPower Pro
    Lockdown Pro
    MarkThatMessage
    PrivaCy
    Safari Tab Closer
    SpringFlash
    Pull To Refresh for Mail
    Pull To Refresh Safari
    WeatherIcon

Open SBSettings and check how much RAM you have usually. If it's below 280MB, then it's all that crapware you have installed. Now stop complaining about iOS 4.3.1, you're using it wrong. Install packages on as needed, and delete those you don't use.

Run Remove Background as much as possible. Even get the toggle for SBSettings. Notice however, that most of the packages that I listed run whether or not it's in the background, they're mods/tweaks/daemons. If it can be closed, then it's not an issue. Since they can't be closed, they must be uninstalled.

I can tell already that this is NOT the full list of packages you have. Stuff like Activator and SBSettings should be on here if it was. Go to Cydia and list all the packages you have installed from THERE.

This is coming from a person who can run Infinity Blade while having N.O.V.A. 2, iMovie, and streaming movies in the background, with absolutely no lag whatsoever. That test used to be lag hell in 4.2.1. I am absolutely sick of hearing people say iOS 4.3.1 sucks because it lags, because 98% of the time their phones are loaded with so much crapware that I have to write a freaking essay on it.

6. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I thank you for your reply, but learn how to READ ! Your reply is a tad irritating by saying that I complain about 4.3.1, if you are not referring to me pls dont quote me.

I quote myself: "So I have 4.3.1 JB using pwnage tool no problems, I frequently restore when I encounter issues, no problems there either it is part and parcel of trying out apps, sometimes they just screw things up."

And to the rest of you, I will try out your suggestions. THANKS :) Keep em coming.

7. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

will try :)

8. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Sorry, there's too many people complaining about that. I saw iOS 4.3.1 and slow iPhone and that's what I thought. xD

9. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

ok so I have removed what I can for the moment:

Openssh thats always on so just in case... I dont use it much..
    GPower - SBsettings does the same thing so thats gone.

Pull to refresh is convenient so I'll want to keep that unless the problem persists .

10. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

hehe its ok... I am trying out the things u mentioned a bit at a time, we'll see what happens. I use remove bg all the time.. and when i open alot of stuff it can be low the ram but when i remove bg it goes to 280 to 300+

11. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Pull to refresh will actively look for a pull-down gesture. It'll drain some battery, not significant.

12. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

I've got a ton of tweaks on mine as well, and the lag is bugging me. Restoring, JBing, and doing the good ol' 'add-a-tweak, see if it's the culprit' test. I'm thinking it's PerPageHTML and/or Dreamboard, but we shall see.

13. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Battery I am not to worried freezing up is what I am bothered about do u have pull ? U know I think it's iblacklist coz whenever a call gets blocked I try n view recent calls n what not the phone just freezes up but I need iblacklist n mcleaner thing sucks I'll try removing the pull stuff
    I wonder if no spot and no bookmarks continue running in the background

14. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

since i have nothing better to do I am downgrading to 4.2.1 because i had no issues then. I had the same apps, same tweaks.. so just to refresh my memory to see if thats actually true I am using 4.2.1 for a while n see if it hangs or not...

15. mjfan82 macrumors regular

Hey jdaniel, I think I am having the same problem as you and I'm on 4.2.1 with an iP4. Here are my symptoms:

every day, sometimes more than once a day, my springboard will become INCREDIBLY slow. swiping from one springboard page to another can take 30 seconds and sometimes the pages freeze. the phone also lags when i try to open an app. my temporary solution is to respring through winterboard, although getting to winterboard takes forever! after the respring, the phone works again. i don't have a lot of packages but i do have iblacklist.....hopefully we can figure this out!

16. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah i know what u mean u swipe to next page it sorta dies in the middle showing both pages which is weird..... and it becomes unresponsive. I was using 4.3.1... I am back to 4.2.1 I will observe and see if it happens to me now as well.. I am however noticing I have 340+mb now.. when I remove all bg applications.. compared to 280 to 300 when I was on 4.3.1

17. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok you know what its iblacklist...I just called myself to test... went to recent calls.. all hung up... frozen so yes it is blacklist.

18. mrlowkey macrumors member

tks for diagnosing...deleted my iblacklist asap...nobody needs these headaches..gonna test out its alternative then...

19. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I just tried something....maybe u can try too... ok this is what i did... before in iblacklist i had delete recent calls turned on... and well for some reason it wont do that.. and well it hangs... and lags...

now i just tested with that option deselected and I had no issues... so do this....block your home number... or something... call your phone.. so that iblacklist blocks its.... test it with the delete recent calls and test it w/o... see if u have the same results i have...

I am gonna continue calling myself a few times n see..

20. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I am happy to report that the above method, fixes any the apparent iblacklist problem. Basically it is a problem of it not being able to do something in this case..delete recent calls and therefore hanging... similar to say sbsettings not being able to display ads and therefore hanging...

i've tried it all night.. seems better...so i cant say definitively if its the 4.2.1 or the 4.3.1 LOL but I am pretty sure I have more free ram now in this set up.

21. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Whatever lies people tell you about the lag of the iOS 4.3.x, don't believe them. I gave tried all versions of iOS 4, even the betas, and I can assure you iOS 4.3.2 seems to be the fastest of the bunch, with iOS 4.2.1 and 4.3.1 in a tie for second. It has my seal of approval.

Also, if you have iLocalis installed, then the daemon might be using a lot of memory (in my case, 80mb).

22. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I dont believe anything I hear, I test it out myself. And I have been going from 4.3.1 and 4.2.1 back and forth and at the moment I cant say I want to go back. everything seems to work fine where it is now. first time I have gotten the phone to not be bitch....so no reason to go to 4.3.1 at the moment... bear in mind I am not saying its 4.3.1 thats the problem i am just saying.. if it aint broke then dont fix it. so I am leaving it where it is.

23. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

just to prove a point i moved it back to 4.3.1 and i have basically no tweaks.. AND after remove bg its only 280.. doesnt even touch 300... and its 340.. on 4.2.1....so more install its gonna be ridiculous... so I am switching back AGAIN ahhaha

24. mrlowkey macrumors member

am staying away fm iBlacklist for time being.. am trying mcleaner on 4.2.1...seems ok with blacklists,delete call history etc..am monitoring battery etc..

hey jdaniel..have you played with daemontool? it loads a comprehensive list of background processes that are hogging the iphone's resources...cross checking the background processes with what other forumers experienced is sooo time consuming..can die die for a newbie...lol

Any feedback is appreciated..

25. misc macrumors newbie

Whoa - how did you figure that out about iLocalis? I really like that app, don't want to give it up, but if it's that much of a hog, I might settle for Find My iPhone now that that's free…