so what's CPU shutdown temp again?

cababah

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
very true

op: if it were too hot your computer would definitly let you know performance wise
well it is more sluggish than normal, is that what you mean? things take longer to load and open while i am converting this movie but i imagine everyone's laptops do that

cababah

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
this is my first laptop so i guess the "heat" thing is new to me but from the replies it sounds like its just the nature of the beast

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
this is my first laptop so i guess the "heat" thing is new to me but from the replies it sounds like its just the nature of the beast
You don't need to worry unless it looks like the computer is having an acid trip and or smoking (or doing the first as a result of the second :rolleyes:)

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
processorfinder.intel.com

That site has a list of several things, including a max temp value (It's TcaseMax, IIRC). If you are unsure of your CPU's actual name, run this command:
Code:
sysctl -a | grep brand_string
and the kernel will give it to you.

Other notes: The CPU will throttle back if it is about to overheat, and will only shut down as a last resort. Shutdown does not happen at the temp that is in Intel's Processor Spec finder, I think that number is the point it starts to throttle. The shutdown point on the mobile C2Ds is closer to 110-120C. Lastly, the fan controller on most Intel Mac's seems to have been designed with a somewhat delayed reaction, probably to prevent the fans from spiking following a temperature spike. They take a moment to react to temp changes, and heavy load might make it go flying up for a few minutes. Once the fans start ramping up, it should come back down and stabilize in the 80s somewhere. At least, my machine does. (It hovers between 80-85 for me, different Rev's of MBP are probably a bit different in this regard)

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
I use the same macbook pro model as you do and my CPU temperature right now, while I am "handbreaking", is constant 68°C@ 5000rpm (20°C room temperature). If I would run handbrak without smc fancontrol CPU temps would go up to 85°C @3500rpm.

CPU load is @ 150% with enough reserves for youtube or other stuff. I am actually running handbreak and safari only.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
the fact that your cpu is so hot while everything is so cold seems very odd. if this were my computer, i'd take it to apple.