So whats the difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicknicknickh, Jan 13, 2012.

1. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

I have an early 2011 15' Mbp and wondering whats the difference between this one and the late one?

( I have the base model )

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

The base late is pretty much the high end early (kinda)
    The base early was a little bit of a rip off...

3. nicknicknickh thread starter macrumors regular

what great news :(

But I mean this is Apple, so granted if I did buy the newer version there will always be a new one coming around the corner and making me post the same thing! woah :apple:

4. iforbes macrumors 6502

That is pretty much true of every electronic device made today....

5. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

Exactly, I try not to think about the next thing around the corner. By the time the current product comes out, the next revision is always just around the corner, so if you keep waiting you'll never buy anything.

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Why even worry about this.

You buy a computer to satisfy a need and do a job.

You use the computer until it can no longer do that job.

What you seem to be worrying about is having the bragging rights of having the " newest and fastest ", if that is the case then you are buying for the wrong reasons.

Get the Lamborghini instead - it's flashier and more visible!

:lol:

7. bill-p macrumors 65816

Your Mac has a base total average power consumption of CPU + GPU as 60W.
    All late Macbook Pro 15" (' denotes feet, not inches, by the way) has that number at 75W.

Basically, what that means is your Mac should run cooler and be more energy efficient.

Other than that, the performance tradeoff translates to about the same amount. The CPU in late is up to 10% faster, while GPU is up to 100% faster. But that's only noticeable if you game or do 3D modeling a lot.

Actually, the base early has its own advantage. For people who don't play games, it's more energy efficient, and it should run cooler. Reviews have agreed with that as well.

On a side note, high early is not the same as base late. Base late uses a slower CPU (when Turbo kicks in), has half the VRAM (important if you do a lot of 3D modeling or gaming), and does not support 32GB RAM.