So whats the difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hawk1226, Jul 31, 2008.

1. hawk1226 macrumors member

Alright, this website makes me crazy. If i were not an "informed" buyer or atleast a consumer that didn't read these rumor websites, I would have bought the MBP by now and been completely happy. I already mentioned in another post how the laptop i get for college will need to be able to handle rendering etc.., but overall, could the nicer MB do this? Essentially, i need to know the advantages and disadvantages of each computer. Would someone mind outlining that for me. And whats the deal with the Black Book? Is this nicer then the white macbook...i'm just confused between the three and want to get the one that obviously suits me best, so if anyone could shed some light into the pros and cons thats would be great. Also with the defective GPU, is this in every model? Or is there older ones that have it and newer ones have been better?

Thanks Alot,
    Evan

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Officially, none of the MacBook Pro GPUs have been proven to be faulty.

The black one is just black.

The MacBook Pro has a dedicated GPU, but it's a year old. The new MacBook Pro won't have anything better than a 9650 GS, but that's a huge improvement.

The new MacBook will have the x4500 IGPU, which is far better than its current one, as well.

3. hawk1226 thread starter macrumors member

well unfortunately, very unfortunately won't be able to wait for the new one. I leave for school beforehand, so i kind of need the comparison for the current specs. And also in "dumb" language. While i kind of understand what your saying, it doesn't really hit home.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

In general, I would think you would want a dedicated GPU for rendering tasks. This would mean you would want a MacBook Pro. I think this is really software dependent though, so you should look at the software requirements for the package you think you will be using.

In addition to getting the dedicated GPU, you will get the bigger screen size (this can be a plus or minus depending on your viewpoint), and other the bonus features (larger disk, backlit keyboard, aluminum enclosure, firewire 800, direct DVI output, etc) that comes with the Pro.

Obviously the MacBook Pro costs alot more than a MacBook, but if you need the dedicated GPU, and if you value the other things included with the Pro, I think that is the way to go.

If you prefer the smaller size, or tough plastic exterior of the MacBook and you DONT need the dedicated GPU, then that is a great solution.

I don't know how much you really need the GPU for what you are doing - but rendering to me means dedicated GPU.

For me, in the end it comes down to price and features. The larger screen is a big deal for me, and I like the other things that come with the Pro, so I can justify the cost....

5. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I don't think that's accurate. I bought my MBP as soon as the Penryn models arrived, and that was late February 2008, roughly 5 months ago.

6. minicoop503 macrumors regular

A gaming graphics card, such as the 8600GT wouldn't be much of a help. The cards that really help are ones that support hardware rendering. An 8600 doesn't do that kind of stuff, its more for games.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The GPU is a year old. It's been in MacBook Pros since last year. Before the 8600, MacBook Pros had the X1600. There have only been two GPUs.

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

So for a laptop then, I assume CPU would be the overriding factor, in which case, wouldn't the MBP and MB be almost identical, at the same speeds?

I guess it comes down to the requirements of the types of rendering software he will be using...

9. 204467 macrumors 6502a

I'm not trying to hate, but it seems in every speculation thread you seem to have either a definite date or a definite set of features. Are you just making them up or do you have a truly reliable source for these?

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My video card doesn't have issues. Do you need proof to see that the Black MB is actually black? What do you expect? Geforce 280M GTX on the MBP? Well if Apple doesn't use Intel chipset then it could be another brand's integrated graphics, but that's about it! It will be better.

11. 204467 macrumors 6502a

No, all saying is that Tallest Skil says a lot of things which to me seem to just be speculation. Of course, there's only so many options for graphics cards or processors, but I've seen him/her mention dates new products will come out an awful lot; does he/she have an inside link or is Tallest Skil just pulling the dates out of thin air?
    BTW, what on earth do you mean when you say "Do you need proof to see that the Black MB is actually black?"

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you said if Tallest Skil had proof, so I asked if you needed proof to see that the Black MacBook is black. Just that. ;)

13. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Ughh, you don't understand. I was asking Tallest Skil why he/she always seemed so confident about his/her predictions. Not where the proof was (though some definite proof would be nice; it would make the waiting game much easier with a definite date in mind).

14. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

What's there to be confused about? Just go and look on Apple's website? Apple is very good at being clear on their site..

Which Mac are you:
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/whichmac/

Full comparison chart:
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/whichmac/whichmacbook.html

Basically
    White macbooks
    low end : decent for basic web surfing and office tasks

higher end: can burn DVDs, faster

Black macbooks
    same as high end white Macbook, but is black, and $100 more expensive

Macbook pro
    15": half a pound heavier than the normal Macbook, made of aluminum, has a dedicated graphics card

17": large notebook, not very portable, but when compared to other 17" notebooks on the market is actually very compact in comparison.
    ---

If you're getting into a field that needs you to go and render things, shouldn't you learn a little more about computers in general instead of asking people to spoon feed you information? :?

Anyway though, a lot of people are able to render video and 3d things on regular high end Macbooks. I personally like the MBP better because of the larger screen. To each his own.

15. hawk1226 thread starter macrumors member

First of all, I didn't realize it was a crime to ask for others opinions. Second, i'm not getting into this field. I do digital art as a hobby and while i'm at school i need a laptop thats portable and can handle it. So, i asked you guys. And this is the way i learn about computers because when you read specs off a site you don't reallyunderstand them, so i went to another source. But my apologies.

16. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

17. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

People get spoon fed on here every day in many different threads.

Don't see anything wrong with his questions