so whats the point of a bumper?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jesusplay, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

I don't see how it can protect the iphone.

I don't have a problem with signal...

is it just for aesthetic purposes? :confused:

2. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I like that when I put the phone on a flat surface, with the bumper on, the front or back don't rest on the flat surface. It elevates it a tad.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You don't see how it can protect the phone? Covering the sides with rubber doesn't protect it? :confused:

4. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Pads the pressure points by taking the shock from a fall. No question in my mind that it will prevent broken screens and backs. Not in all cases, but it will help.

What would you rather have hit concrete, the corner of your phone which is taught against a piece of glass, or the corner of a padded rubber bumper?

Plus it keeps the front and back raised, which will help, but not prevent, hitting those surfaces on flat ground.

Plus it feels great in the hand. :) (and pads the sensitive lower left seam from bridging the antennas together causing interference)

5. Octane19 macrumors member

Plus it has a better chance to keep the glass intact if it lands on a corner as I understand it.

6. jesusplay thread starter macrumors 6502a

ummm convincing

does powersupport make films for the iphone 4?

7. Qinetic macrumors member

The edges go slightly over the front and back of the screen, so that if you were to set it down on a perfect flat surface, the glass of the iPhone wouldn't actually be touching anything.

There's only two possible positions the iPhone could land on in a possible drop, where this would happen (straight on the front or straight on its back) so the chances that it would fall like this are very slim. It would also have to land on a perfectly flat surface for this design to be effective. Dropping it on jagged ground could still poke the screen passed the raised edges.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I hear it attracts magical unicorns?

But really, it protects the phone. I have one. I like it. It's overpriced, but works well.

10. Munitalp macrumors 65816

You can preorder but it says they ship on July 26th

11. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Funny...and sadly very true.

They have versions for the iPhone 4 on their website but not yet available--can pre-order if so inclined.

12. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

13. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

Ordered a bumper on 6/15 via next day air on release date. Confirmed to deliver 6/25. Received it 6/29 (obviously not next day). Opened the box, and it really is basically a $30 rubber band.

So, what is the point of the bumper? To piss me off...

14. anitrajw macrumors regular

A bumper is perfect for someone who doesn't like cases, I have a bumper but I also have the invisible shield to protect the back.

15. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

I don't have a bumper or a case yet, and when I put the phone down on it's back, I put it on a cloth or something soft.

I think that if it were on a hard surface, and the phone rang and vibrated, it would scratch the glass - so the bumper would protect against this as well.

16. Munitalp macrumors 65816

You would have known that it was just a little piece of rubber by looking at some pics :confused: Its not like they didn't release any pics of them until they were shipping out or something.