So what's the SIM card for?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by superspiffy, Jan 2, 2009.

1. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it stores my info so I could swap it in any phone and use it. Would this work if I wanted to swap the SIM from my iPhone 3G with another iPhone 3G even if the second iPhone is brand new in box?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes, but it would require activation because the iPhone is special ;).

You could take it out, and put it in a regular phone, and it would have all of your contacts that are stored on the SIM card, your phone number, and your texts.

Basically, all the SIM card does, is send a signal to AT&T whenever you make a call. But, it sends that signal from your phone, not the actual card itself.

Make sense?

3. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

What if I were to unlock the second iPhone instead of activating it? Would my SIM finally work?

4. WPeterson macrumors member

WPeterson

right. the dev team has released up-to-date unlock pack for us, however, it's not that convenient to do so. and maybe next update for firmware will make the unlock disabled. so look for the official unlocked iphone (as i know as far, in hong kong only, http://store.apple.com/hk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?cid=AOSAPQ209.comiPhone), and any SIM cards could work perfectly.

:cool: