So whats the speed bump?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by patricem, Jun 5, 2017.

1. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Only the i5 model gets a bump.

Base speed goes from 1.6 Ghz to 1.8. The "turbo" goes from 2.7 to 2.9.

The i7 is still at 2.2/3.2

2. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

3. fairyultra macrumors newbie

fairyultra

Does the MBA now have a Kaby Lake CPU?

4. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

don't know, specs look the same on the maxed out version, slight speed bump on the base model.. MR separates the MBA from the Kaby Lake upgraded line up in their article..

5. nordique macrumors 6502a

Based on the integrated GPU still being HD6000, doesn't seem like it.

No mention of seventh gen either on product page.

It's could be wrong though but doesn't look like it

EDIT product page still says fifth gen. so no kaby lake.

6. asoksevil macrumors 6502

Probably just the better i5 broad well.

7. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

There is no Kaby Lake update for Air. https://www.apple.com/mac doesn't even have "new" tag next to the Air.

It's not really any kind of update worth talking about.

8. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

apple agrees with you.
    there is no "new" under the name, like there is for all the other models that had more substantial upgrades.

is it a possibility that the former internal hardware was discontinued totally so apple was forced to make this minor mod?

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Glad I got a new 2015 13" 8gb/128mb for $750. Never expected them to update the air but the spec bump wasn't worth waiting for anyway.

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

In theory, this minor bump in the MBA is a good thing for anyone who's purchased the 2015 model MBA. This pushes out the date that Apple can legally obsolete the 2015 MBA.

I purchased two 13/8/128 MBA in the last 6 months for my kids at BestBuy.

11. TheArcher macrumors newbie

No, Apple is still using the 5th generation cpu. If you look under features, one can see it there. It's truly unfortunate as this is a great little laptop that desperately needs attention. It has turned in a red-headed step child of Apple :(

Personally, I think Apple should redesign and completely update the Macbook Air. I would love to see new colors, smaller bezels, a retina display based off of IGZO, increased ram and horsepower (cpu), along with 13, 14, and 15 in. sizes. Apple could market it to students and enthusiasts to differentiate the product line. Sorry, the base rMBP 13" doesn't do anything for me.

2018 will be an exciting year in terms of cpu and memory, particularly storage. Coffee Lake will be out, supporting either LPDDR4 or 3D XPoint, and Cannon Lake, based on 10 nm, will be out as well. Intel is already making huge changes to their road maps and pushing the release dates of tech up thanks to AMD and Ryzen!

12. Ternary macrumors regular

Actually, I think it's the opposite. Since the new MacBook Air is labelled as a 2017 model, the countdown just began for the 2015 MacBook Air to become obsolete.

13. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Hmm, I hadn't realized that they called it the 2017 model. I assumed they didn't bother since the website doesn't have the "new" label.

Anyways, Apple will likely support the 2015 MBA for as long as the 2017 MBA with macOS updates. There's nothing inherently different that they could reasonably use as a cut-off between the 2015 and 2017 models. Same everything except an extra 200 mhz.

Incidentally, the 2015 i7 and 2017 i7 are exactly the same. No changes in specs. So can they obsolete the 2015 i7 two years earlier than the 2017 i7? That would be a really sneaky move if they did so. I'll have to remember to check in 6 years.