so what's the verdict on the 3gs wifi issue? hardware or software?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by caligurl, Jul 21, 2009.

1. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

we have 2 3gs iphone in the house. one (hubby's) connects to the wifi each and every time. mine gives me issues... sometimes connecting, sometimes not and asking for our router password often. when it doesn't connect to wifi it's hit or miss whether it selects 3g or edge...

i finally called apple about it on sunday and after a restore, it's doing the same thing. the lady on the phone said if the restore didn't work that they would have to replace it. everything else works fine.

however, i've read the threads where people have posted they've exhanged 2, 3 + times and still have the wifi issue. a lot of people seem to think it's a software issue....

so after all that.... my question is: get it replaced (which it sounds like i'll get a refurbished unit :mad:) or wait it out and see if 3.1 fixes the problem?

2. celticpride678

3.1 should fix the problem. It is definetly software, not hardware because most with 3.0 has had the issue with Wi-Fi, including me. Just wait it out.

3. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

They do? Then how come the OP appears to state that the other 3GS in the household doesn't have this problem?

And I must say that albeit on a 2G iPhone, mine running 3.0 also doesn't have this issue. It does take a moment longer to connect to wifi, and once in a while (meaning twice since I updated to 3.0 in mid-June) it has baulked at connecting and asked for a password, but that occasionally happened with pre v3.0 too.

I would say to the OP that the specific iPhone being described has a fault and it should go back for replacement. There is always the possibility that the replacement will also have a problem, but even if it does, it's only a matter of returning that. There is no limit on the number of goes at replacing defective iPhones you are allowed!