So what's Up with AppleCare??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CaptRB, Jun 14, 2017.

1. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

My wife was thinking of adding AppleCare to her 2016 MBP 13" because she's taking to work a lot, but I heard that you must add it within 60 days of purchase. I had thought it was within one year?

What's the story on this?

Thanks..

R.

2. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

It's because AppleCare for Macs is now AppleCare+ which has 2 instances of accidental damage included so long as you pay the required deductible. Thus with Plus, the purchase window has shrunk to 60 days. If you want to purchase the original AppleCare Protection Plan (without the accident coverage) you can do so by calling Apple support or buying it from a third party reseller. Adorama has it on closeout for $199.

3. CaptRB thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

Thanks....twas a tad confusing!

I see it for 249.00 at Adorama, but that's cool.

R.

4. jerryk macrumors 68030

Here is the Apple Care+ details.

"Every Mac comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for Mac extends your coverage to three years from the original purchase date of your Mac and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax.1 In addition, you’ll get 24/7 priority access to Apple experts by chat or phone."

And the fine print

"1 Service coverage is available only for Mac and its original included accessories for protection against (i) defects in materials or workmanship, (ii) batteries that retain less than 80 percent of their original capacity, and (iii) up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling of your Mac, each incident being subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax. If your Mac has catastrophic damage from an accident or is inoperable after unauthorized modifications, you will need to buy a replacement"

I am not sure what the difference is from what is the "accident damage from handling your Mac" which is covered, and "catastrophic damage from an accident" which is not covered.

Maybe one is an "oops, I dropped my laptop!", and the other is "dang, I ran over my laptop"

5. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

Here is the link to the $199 AppleCare for MacBook/Air/Pro 13"

https://www.adorama.com/acmd014lla.html
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    The latter falls under "catastrophically accidental" or maybe "accidentally catastrophic" :p

6. Ameru macrumors newbie

Ameru

When buying it from adorama how does one set it up? I usually buy it when I order the mac. So I've never had to do the manual set up.

7. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

The product itself is a physical box that is mailed to you, inside is paperwork detailing AppleCare. The outside of the box has a serial/registration number, agreement number, etc. You log into your Apple support page and follow the link to manage/view your plans and from in there you add the registration info. It's pretty easy to do.

8. Kermy macrumors member

I believe it's, if you drop your mbp off the kitchen table and dent your case then they'll cover it, but if you drop it off your 3 story balcony then they won't.

9. Ameru macrumors newbie

Ameru

will the 199 plan work with the new 2017 MacBook pro's?

10. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

Yes they will, Apple Care plans are differentiated by class/groups of product (13" Airs and Pros are in one, 15" Pros in one, iMacs in another, etc) so as long as you are buying the one made for your product type, it will work. Basically the newly introduced AppleCare+ is the same as the original AppleCare Protection Plan but with the 2 accidental coverage instances and an increase in the retail price from $249 to $269. You can purchase either plan and attach it to any appropriate hardware.

11. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I feel the new AppleCare+ plans have become ridiculously expensive. $380 for the 15" MacBook Pro! That's the price of a good ChromeBook! I always had AppleCare, but that price tag made me stop in my track. I got a quote of $270, more reasonable. I thought it was wrong, but perhaps that's for the old AppleCare plan? I don't need accident protection.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow that is pricey, I had no idea. Its been a long time since I needed to consider buying it. I also had no idea Apple transitioned AC to AC+ which I guess can be considered a good move, i.e., accidental coverage. Not sure if I'd be willing to spend that much though.

13. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Does the "two incidents of accidental damage coverage" cover liquid damage?
    M

14. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Hmmmm...

I'm wondering if this introduction of "AppleCare+" could have anything to do with a few reports we've seen posted here regarding what may be an increased "fragility" of the redesigned MacBook Pro "top covers" (display and case backing)?

Could they have a greater propensity to exhibit "screen cracks" when subjected to slightly-higher-than-normal closing forces?

15. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

I personally wouldn't try to connect any dots that probably aren't there, honestly. The handful of screen crack issues that are read about on here aren't necessarily indicative of any widely established manufacturing issues across the board, across the tens of thousands of MBPs that have been sold since late last year. I'd venture a guess and say the large majority of MBP owners don't even visit or have heard of these forums, or participate in any sort of Mac "community" online presence, thus we can't glean any useful data merely from what we see here. I just think the addition of Plus was something their bean counters have had in the works for awhile and figured the best time to introduce it was during WWDC to coincide with the hardware refresh.

16. jerryk macrumors 68030

Does anyone know if the availability of AppleCare+ only applies to new purchases?

Would be the only option for a 2015 15" rMBP bought from the refurb store?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 15, 2017 ---

Another option for "cheap" AppleCare (and I suspect soon AppleCare+) is the Amazon "used" (ie. returned) warehouse. I have seen Applecare available for 20% less than "new".

17. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Not me, either. I'm more concerned about non-accidental coverage (knock on wood) as I've never dropped or smashed my laptop, but it's just too steep, given the chances. For accidental... $350 now + $300 later + tax... I think I'll tuck that $700 away and use it to buy the shiny new 2019 Macbook Pro if the worst ever happens!

18. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I guess the biggest risk to laptops is liquid damage, and that is covered under AC+, so it does make some sense. But still, at $380 it's too much. I prefer paying less and then forfeit the accidental coverage.

19. bericsson macrumors newbie

bericsson

More likely to address the removing of MagSafe

20. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The new AC+ is a step in the right direction, but the main advantage of having 3rd party insurance is that I would be covered if it is stolen, it gets dropped in a pool, or incarcerated by a falling meteor.

Also, with this AC+, by the time you finish paying the initial premium and deductible PLUS tax, you might as well buy a new MBP or pay for the part.

21. jerryk macrumors 68030

What are 3rd parties charging for this level of insurance?

22. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

What's killing AC+ on every Apple device for me is the deductible + the high initial price.
    When looking at prices for most common repairs and looking back at how many devices I've accidentally damaged, I would lose lots of money overall.

As the price of AC+ doesn't change with upgrades and the max. config of some Macs is double the base config, those top tier models might change the value proposition.

23. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I use an insurance called Worth Ave. I actually had to use them because my Incase messenger bag strap broke(I really should sue Incase for that crap) landing on solid concrete and denting the my old MBP.(The bag had little internal padding apparently) It took awhile to wait for the new aluminum casing part, but the representative was nice and got me faster shipping so I could get it the Saturday before my flight/trip at the time. I have all my stuff on there now, and it covers pretty much any kind of accident.

24. benguild macrumors 6502a

Has anyone dug into the terms of AC+ vs. AC? ...Have any of the other things changed, or is it the same at a higher price but also including the accidental damage coverage?

Is the classic version more superior in any way?