So when are the 17''ers coming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, Oct 14, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

I find it really strange that apple hasn't released any information regarding the 17'' redesign and when it will be available.

They could've at least said it will be available end of year or in january.

Anybody got an idea?

2. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I doubt it is just round the corner, or they wouldn't have bothered updating the current 17"; they would just have cut the price a bit.

I also notice that John Gruber suggests the possibility that the 17" model may be discontinued.

3. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

Many people have mentioned complications with the 17" unit. The initial Macbook Pro came out in 15" only and the new 17" came two months later as others have mentioned. I'd be shocked if we don't see it after the first of the year with at least a processor bump and an extra port or two over the 15.

I had a 17 and loved the hi-res display but I wanted smaller and got a Macbook instead. I hated the Macbook and today I bought a 15" MBP. I guess we'll see which I like best.

4. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Whoa, if that is really the case my current 17'' mbp was the last laptop i bought from apple.

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I doubt it, Apple only selling 2 sizes of notebooks? Nahh...

6. Crossbone macrumors regular

Im guessing there is an engineering issue with the size and weight of the machine.
    especially the display

7. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

Sure. They only sell one desktop computer without mobile parts, the MacPro. By next year I expect Apple will only sell four models of computer.

8. isethx macrumors regular

i have been waiting for months and months for a 17 inch MBP to switch. i'm not sure what to do now. on one hand there could be an update... in jan... or just quietly whenever. on the other hand i might wait and nothing will ever happen. what to do, what to do.

9. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

And they will all look EXACTLY the same. Now where can we put a black strip on the Mac Pro?

10. MMPascal macrumors member

I am on the same page, I do graphic design and photography and travel a lot so it has to be a notebook and it has to be a big screen. So beside the glossy part this is a pain in the ass, Im thinking of getting an old 17" but then I am not sure.

11. Crossbone macrumors regular

Im guessing there is an engineering issue with the size and weight of the machine.
    especially the display

12. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I'm undecided whether to get the 17", with its dated tech, or just suck it up and get the new 15". The one thing that's really holding me back from the 15" now is that 1440 x 900 is going to seem really cramped (at least even my old 17" had 1680 X 1050) - in fact it's even less than the 1440 X 960 I had on my old Powerbook.

13. D*I*S_Frontman macrumors 6502

My 2.0 Core Duo 15" MBP is still fine for what I do. If, however, I leaned more in the graphic design work direction, I would want a 17". Still, the #1 productivity enhancer for getting real work done is a larger screen, and no where is that more important than with graphic designers running Photoshop or editors running Final Cut Pro on video projects. Mighty nice for audio engineering as well.

The latest 17" MBPs now have true HD screen resolution, which is great. I can't imagine they'd go backwards on this with a redesigned black bezeled version. After all of the incessant whining about it, I am sure that an "anti-glare" screen will at least be a BTO option for the upcoming 17".

We'll see.

14. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I thought this was rather strange as well. I don't know what's going on now is this the New Mac Mini? I cannot believe they aren't updating the Pro's now. Not unless they just don't sell and with the Economy in the condition it is People won't want to buy enough 17" Macbook Pros to make it worth there while.

It could also be they are experimenting with how well this new Brick Manufacturing process and the 17" requires a lot of changes to the Manufacturing of the 17".

Or they could be waiting for new Graphics hardware.

15. JWest macrumors 6502

Here's my theory. The 17" still has a matte display. If the uproar about the missing matte display becomes to loud, they might introduce the redesigned 17" with a matte option, and in turn, add a matte option to the 15".

16. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    That's a possibility! They first did the 13" and the 15", maybe the 17" is next. :cool:

17. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

sigh, i been waiting over 2+ years for a new 17" mbp now. I been holding off at every event apple had hoping for them to reveal a newly redesigned one. Only to find out that today it hasn't been mentioned at all! I am so angry. I have a 5 yr old 1st gen 17" powerbook g4 thats been aging for so long now. I use my computer every day for work. I am a graphic designer and do photography also.

Now I'm even considering just getting the 15" mbp. I don't think I can wait anymore. Sigh. I really wish apple would give us some sort of answer so I can make my decision. If they are discontinueing then please tell us so that I can go ahead and get my 15" MBP!
    :(

18. redmeister macrumors 6502

i was going to say i expected it to come out a few months after the 15 as they did in the past, but some of the rumors i have read are slightly disconcerting. knew id have to wait a while longer for new 17 but hopefully they dont axe it