So when did we start calling cameras "iSight"?

Macostendoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I noticed during the keynote Phil Schiller said that when a camera has such good optics, quality, etc. they call it an "iSight" camera. Well the iPhone 4S' camera isn't called an "iSight" camera? what's the deal? I feel like with Tim Cook at the helm he's trying to bring Apple back to its roots a little bit what with the iPad and the iPhone being displayed in signature Apple white and the cameras now being iSight. It's like they're trying to make the iPad more of a "Macintosh" And this isn't a bad thing. I like this new direction. What do you guys think?

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
I noticed during the keynote Phil Schiller said that when a camera has such good optics, quality, etc. they call it an "iSight" camera. Well the iPhone 4S' camera isn't called an "iSight" camera? what's the deal? I feel like with Tim Cook at the helm he's trying to bring Apple back to its roots a little bit what with the iPad and the iPhone being displayed in signature Apple white and the cameras now being iSight. It's like they're trying to make the iPad more of a "Macintosh" And this isn't a bad thing. I like this new direction. What do you guys think?
I think it was a slip of the tongue.

Edit: iSight seems to reference rear-facing cameras now:

Last edited:

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
They actually just changed the name of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S cameras to iSight. The new term doesn't do anything for me.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

jbimler said:
Has it been confirmed if this is the same camera that the 4S has?
Same optics not the same sensor. Ipad3 has 5mp, 4s has 8mp!

Op does it really matter? Apple own the name so why not use it?

Macostendoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
The iPad has the same optics as the iPhone 4S but only 5 megapixels whereas the iPhone 4S has 8 megapixels.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Along with Retina Display and FaceTime camera, it is one more way for Apple to distinguish themselves from other tablets, even if the specs on the cameras are identical.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

10 years ago?