So when do you think the cut off for software updates will be for the original iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by oiuh151, Sep 17, 2011.

?

What OS will the original iPad stop on?

1. iOS 5

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. iOS 6

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. iOS 7

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

Obviously it can't be updated forever and we've generally seen iPhone's go through two major OS updates before the support for them is cut off. So what OS do you think the original iPad will stop on?

2. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

probably when the ipad 3 or 4 comes out, normally hardware revisions dictate the support that apple will put, they cant support too many generations at once. normally its two at a time.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

There Is A Marketing Point Too

I'm guessing maybe IOS6 but it will depend a lot on the iPad 3's release. Also, as more apps become ipad2 only, Apple might look at it then...Comes down to the commercial viability of production in the end.

4. jaytv111 macrumors regular

Couldn't be iOS 7. It's either iOS 5 or 6. Since it originally came out with iOS 3, I'd say the two generations rule would probably apply and iOS 5 would be the cutoff. But they introduced iOS 4 a couple months after the iPad was introduced, so it's doubtful it could be called a full generation. But, they released iOS 4 for the iPad in November, so although April to November isn't a whole year, it still could count as a generation. Therefore, I'd wager that iOS 5 is going to be last for the first iPad.

5. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

The cutoff will probably be iOS 5.3. They will probably introduce iOS 5 to the original iPad and then release a few updates to make it stable before the initial cutoff.

6. kjjnk macrumors member

iOS 6. That will be when the iPhone 4 and 4th gen iPod Touch will be cut off which have A4's and the iPod Touch has the same RAM as the iPad.