So... when is Apple gonna release Macbook tablet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pearvsapple, Jul 21, 2012.

1. pearvsapple macrumors regular

I know, I know. It's inevitable... but when? A second fiddle like Acer is capable of coming up with something like W700 that features a modern CPU found in current Macbook Air instead of turtle-like speed that is ARM, Thunderbolt (dang!), 1080p IPS 11" screen, a full fledged OS in x86 Windows 8---all in a tablet form factor! :eek: But I want OSX and the Apple quality we've all come to love! Make it happen Apple. This is excellent replacement for Macbook Pro 13" and especially all Air models, considering their hardware is soooo similar. :apple:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Won't be for a good while, if ever
    Certainly not in the next year or so

iOS and OSX have a long way to go to make this feasible

3. kiantech macrumors regular

4. jcpb macrumors 6502a

What you're looking for is something called a Modbook Pro.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1395515

If you think a MBPR is too expensive, here's a teaser: $3050 minimum IF you bring in your own MBP, or $5000 brand new (all prices from 2009). As far as this year's pricing? No idea, the company is mum on it.

5. Retina MacBook macrumors regular

Why would you want a MacBook tablet? I'm pretty sure it's because you want to have all the fun touching the screen without the boring old mouse, correct?

Nope. All you will do is have fun touching it in the first day, then all the other days, you'll be touching the mouse only. Why? Because multi-touching the screen is a horrible experience! You just thought it's great! It really gets tiring over time. Trust me, I bought a touch-screen display. Never touched it again. It's not wonderful.

Then why did Apple make the iPad? The iPad has huge icons, you can easily tap them and use it and it's designed for fingers, unlike Mac OS X, it has small icons which only precise cursers can go. It's not designed for fingers. To make it designed for fingers, they have to rewrite the whole thing and they did that already. It's the iPad.

Apple made the Multi-Touch trackpad. That is already the farthest Apple can go with Multi-touch technology on the Macs. Nothing more.

6. pearvsapple thread starter macrumors regular

Well, we can clearly see OSX adopting many features from iOS. Apple sure know what the future is: Intel in their tablets.:apple:

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

The real question is;
    "Will the tablet market cannibalise sales of computers to the extent that it is warranted for a full OS to be implemented?"

My answer - "I hope not"

8. Retina MacBook macrumors regular

Intel isn't the one on the iPad. It's ARM.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, OSX and iOS are learning from each other
    But they still have a long way to go

So many things to consider
    Balancing battery life, size, speed, user interface
    Not soon, if ever

I think it is probably more likely we would see ARM in the MBA/MBP line eventually than to see Intel in Apple's tablets

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I've been asking that since the iPad came out.

11. jcpb macrumors 6502a

None of the iPads and iPhones use Intel CPUs / SoCs. Those are ARM.

12. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats