So, when will the original iPhones pricing go down? (and where to find it now?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guyverzero, Jul 13, 2008.

1. guyverzero macrumors member

Look to title, I'm wanting to buy a 1st gen 16 gig iPhone and I wanna know when you guys think the prices will drop down on ebay *because right now...paying 500 bucks for something thats last gen is NOT on my to do list*

Also, does anyone know anyplace else besides ebay that sells them? I know the marketplace here does, but I do not have the required post count to access it.

2. kyleaa macrumors regular

It will probably be quite some time. All of Apple's current iPhone carriers will not let you out of the store without activating it on a contract - all of the first gen iphones came contract free. Demand will probably go down as time goes on, but don't expect it to be soon.

3. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Local classified section in your paper or Craigslist.com and find the nearest city to you.

They are so valuable right now because they can be unlocked, useful to many people that don't want to use ATT, don't have it in their country, don't like signing up for 2 years, etc. Or even want to use ATT, but are not in a 3G network area and would prefer the cheaper $20 EDGE plan you can only do with the original iPhones.

Right now, the new 3G model isn't unlocked, but eventually will be. And requires a contract before you walk away with it from the store. I'm sure by the time it's unlocked, there will be the no-commitment option from ATT, but at $599-$699, so it's going to be even more expensive to get your hands on one of these as they start to show up a lot on ebay. Which might mean the originals hold their price longer.

The only different with these old ones is no 3G or GPS, battery life is a toss up right now, and better speakers (still not loud loud). Otherwise, it's the same hardware and features, and has an aluminum back, includes a dock worth $30.

Are you in a 3G area?

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

They're going to hold their value as they are currently unlockable. Maybe after another year's use, they will go down mainly because they won't be as in good a condition.

5. guyverzero thread starter macrumors member

I am in a 3g area, but I do not wanna pay the extra every month for internet that still is a fraction of wifi speed, and have to pay for texting too.

And hmm.....okay, so that 4-5 hundred range is just what I'm gonna pay for a 16 gig pretty much no matter what?

6. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Ebay prices are pretty high, but you might see lower prices for local sales at craigslist from people who want quick sales. Though, when I was considering, it seemed like many could have been scams. Like repeat ads that were nearly the same exact message, but tweaked a little and contradicting the previous version.

7. chopper dave macrumors regular

Look for phones with cosmetic damage or incomplete packaging, i.e. scratches on the back or above/below the screen. These are going for about $100 less than the nicer ones.

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

yeah good luck with that. I know I wont be selling mine cheap anytime soon.

9. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I wonder what the market will do as I will be looking to sell my 1st gen iphone in basically perfect condition and all original packaging and I'm not quite sure what avenue to take to sell it to get the best price. Right now it's a very nice ipod touch. I will wait a bit I guess.

10. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I think it will be awhile especially if the iPhones continue to sell well and the App Store continues to have record downloads

I suspect Apple will wait a good while to the point of sales lagging a little (which could be quite awhile from now) and then drop $50 or so