So, where can I get a 5D for the least money, but still a reputable dealer?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by seenew, Mar 19, 2008.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Eh? First thought is B&H, just wondering if it can be had for less ($2200) elsewhere.

2. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Listed as $2199.88 body only on Amazon, which probably doesn't help you much. I'll say though that my 5D body and lenses come from both B&H and Amazon - both very reputable, and sometimes one is less expensive than the other for certain items.

3. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Adorama seems to be the other vendor of choice.

I think you will generally find that the reputable ones will have the 5D or any other camera at about the same price give or take a few $$.

Speaking of, they have it for $2200. They also list a used one for $2000 rated in excellent condition.

Another poster on here (crackedbutter) might be looking to sell their 5D

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Adorama ships on time, but their support sucks ass. They're only popular because they are cheaptuble (cheap and fairly reputable).

Wait until the 5d mark II or whatever its called to come out and prices will shoot down.

5. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

Can't wait that long, wish I could. I just finished my last film class and am moving on to digital this quarter (next week). All I've got right now is a 350D... Doesn't exactly cut the mustard.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Why not? The XT is in almost all cases an excellent camera. Buy a nice lens that you will be able to use on a future 5D and run the XT for another month or so.

I know people who have done excellent work with the 350d; I don't see anything about it that would limit a photography student (especially moving from film)

7. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

Don't get me wrong, the 350D is fine. I've been using it for a couple of years now, and I've got all great glass for it. I just really need a full frame camera. I'd be keeping the 350D as a spare, too.

If I knew I could afford what appears to be the next 5D (at $3500), I'd bite the bullet and wait. But since I know I can't justify laying down that much cash, I might as well go ahead and get a current 5D.

Feel free to convince me otherwise, I would love to be convinced. ;) I just miss my wide angle shots, and I'm not going to waste money on EF-S lenses. (I sold my EF-S 10-22 last year for a EF 17-40 f4L when I started shooting film).

8. TWLreal macrumors 6502

From my other thread:
    The US rebates should be here soon which will drop about $200 off the current prices on the 5D.

Should.

9. jampat macrumors 6502a

Futureshop in canada (a big box electronics store) is an authorized canon retailer and for some reason, each store brought in a 5d. They have really good prices on them (often less than 2K) because typical box store camera customers won't go higher than an xti. I don't know if there is an equivalent in the US.

Current 5d's may go for fire sale prices when the update comes out.

Good luck.

10. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

should... like... when?

11. TWLreal macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:

12. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

:p

looks like I'll wait a couple of weeks and see...

13. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I've purchased from Canoga Camera before and will again if I ever get enough money to buy a 5D or 5D Mark II (or whatever it will be called). They have a slightly better price at $2,169.94:

http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=23901

14. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

If you are interested in a gently used 5D, I will be selling mine in about 2 weeks...once my new 1Ds arrives!! :D

15. john roolz a lo macrumors newbie

buydig.com

cheapest most reliable site for camera gear

i got my 5D / lenses from there since all my local shops overcharge

16. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

hmm... depends on the price, and how 'gently' it was used. ;)

any warranty?

17. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

It's actually in perfect shape, and about 14 months old. There is a 3 year warranty through Mack which is transferable for a small fee. My rig is pretty pricey so I am always overly-careful about handling and weather conditions. No shots in the rain or snow (although I have shot images of snow once it has fallen.) This camera will always take phenomenal photos with great color accuracy and no noise.

I'll be ready to sell around April 4th. Let me know.

18. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I have seen great images from the Digital Rebel as well - but my concern was the cameras ability to handle somewhat rough handling.

My first DSLR was a Digital Rebel - I owned it for one day, called the dealer and returned it the next day for a 10D. At the time it only came in the silver finish and after looking at it closely I realized it was not a durable as the 10D. I could imagine in my hands that silver finish wearing down and the camera looking rough in short order.

The other concern for me was the smaller size - it didn't seem to fit my hand as well as I liked - of course at the time I was shooting with an EOS 3 film camera so I was used to the larger body.

Where to buy? I prefer to deal with local dealers - I may pay a little more than 'online' but they are competitive in pricing and the support you can get from them cannot be had from an online dealer. I bought a lens and once I got it home realized I did not want it, had the new lens the next day.

19. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

KEH.com has one new for $2200 and very slightly used one for $2029 in LN- condition.

It's still considerably cheaper than when the 5D first came out.