So where is 4.3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kevingaffney, Feb 14, 2011.

1. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Today was widely tipped for launch of 4.3. Thought by now I'd be streaming stuff all over the house to my ATv from iPads, iPhones etc but not looking likely today

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Apple hasn't released a GM yet so don't expect 4.3 for at least a week.

I'm fully expecting a GM release this week however, today is 13 days from Beta 3.

3. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

Maybe Apple is going to release it today, but the time hasn't come. Don't they usually release software updates around 1pm PST? Correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

5. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

Never heard of any tips for today's release. Care to share?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My take on it is, why rush for 4.3?

I'd rather have apple take their time and make sure its a solid update. Since they haven't released the GM to developers yet, its not ready for prime time

7. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I've been out of the 4.3 loop recently, so I have a question:
    I read or heard a while back, that the new multitouch gestures won't be included. Is this true, or was it only the gestures for the iPhone that didn't make the cut?

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I believe so, from reports, it seemed like something along the lines of: As the gestures are not practical on the 3.5" iPhone screen, then the iPad can't have them either.

9. Tangy Anus macrumors newbie

Apple removed the gestures, which I'm glad they did.

10. sinalot macrumors newbie

11. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

Apparently the gestures were only there for developers to test out with their applications for any interference and problems etc. I don't think they were ever intended to be publicly released with ios 4.3

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

This really is quite bizarre.
    If this is indeed the case then why all the smoke and mirrors from Apple? why don't thy just release a version for devs with these new gestures in place and explain they are being included to check app functionality.

Why do they sneak it in, without saying a word and take it away without saying a word?

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But that is exactly what they did. The beta versions are "a version for devs," and they did explain that the gestures were for testing only. It's just that the news/rumors sites reported the gestures first, and then later added that they were for testing only. Apple was always upfront about it, they weren't sneaking around like you think.

14. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I don't know about you guys but I am itching out of my skin to get a hold of iOS 4.3. I haven't been this excited since the Keynote that demoed iOS 4.0. I have a WiFi only iPad that just can't wait to have WiFi on the go from my iPhone 4.

I was honestly expecting a GM release on Tuesday, but I'm starting to wonder what's going on.

Jan 12- Beta 1
    Jan 19-Beta 2 (7 days later)
    Feb 1 Beta 3(13 days later)

It's now February 16th which is 15 days from Beta 3. I *highly* doubt we will see a beta 4, this is only a "minor" iOS upgrade. We're not going from iOS 4 to iOS 5 here. And heck, iOS 4.0 only had 3 beta versions before it went GM. I'll even settle for a GM at this point. Aside from the WiFi snafu of 4.2, every time a GM comes out, it's the same as the "final" product.

Also, many people are saying that their Daily subscription which needs iOS 4.3 for recurring billing was extended to Feb 23. I believe that date may hold a hint towards the release date, but I am a bit confused about the lack of a GM at this point. Would apple release a GM on Friday and then "Go public" with it on Tues/Wednesday? Seems unlikely but we can never know for sure. Also, would Apple release iOS 4.3 without a GM build? I really can't see that happening. I am almost 100% sure we will see at the bare minimum, a GM build in the next 7 days.

15. Liberal macrumors member

Maybe they'll release it when they announce iPad 2. Just a thought. :)

16. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I could live with that... (if it's within the next 2 weeks) :D

17. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

so i was looking at this about 4.3. i know its wikipedia and all but what is this wireless syncing and the ilife & photobooth apps. its under the first section. has anyone heard of these at all in any 4.3 betas. also it says 4.3 release confirmed for feb 22. i know there has been no golden master so i was thinking beta 4 tomorrow the 22, golden master on fri and release on mon the 28 because thats when the daily ends the free trial thing. i was thinking maybe apple will give out an invitation tomorrow for a keynote mon that announces ipad 2 and ios 4.3. dont flame me for another when is 4.3 coming out. i know it will get here when it gets here. i was just wondering what everybody thinks about it. it just sounds kinda interesting to me that the wiki page and daily all fall within the same week and that we havent seen beta 4 in three weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

18. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Don't believe it, last night it even said there was a beta 4 which has now been removed. Someone got excited and jumped the gun.

19. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

[answering the question] Cupertino. Expect iPad 2 first is what I say.

20. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

There is no smoke and mirrors, just a bunch of speculation, gun-jumping and people forgetting how this process works.

The iOS BETA releases are intended for developers, technically you shouldn't even have access unless you're a registered developer. Apple included them in the first beta for 4.3 to gain some feedback and, more importantly perhaps, to give developers a heads-up that they need to rethink any functions in their apps that uses those gestures. They clearly explained in the release notes with Beta 2 that:

In truth this is Apple doing exactly what they should do in terms of working with the developer community. They've given as much warning as possible, gathered some real-world use data and now pulled the feature back in house for whatever tweaking is going on (I'm still half-convinced that five finger pinch will go a modified Launch Pad style screen rather than the home page). The problem occurs when fans on forums like this forget they're effectively seeing a process that's not for public consumption and go off the deep end.