So where is LION? ( install.dmg ) at? So that i can clean install flash drive?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by maf2k8, Jul 20, 2011.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2009
    After reading ALL the topics on how to make Lion bootable from a USB drive for a clean install, all the topics i have read on the net seem to be wrong.. There is noInstallESD.dmg or OSX or anything...

There is not even a icon or app in the app folder?

So i have it installed via mac app store on my MBP but i want to make a bootable Lion on a flash drive? not possible?

I have tried searching thru spotlight and the following way...and nothing!!!

First we are going to locate the Lion InstallESD.dmg file and mount it:

Navigate to your applications folder
    Right-click (or control-click) on the “Install Mac OS X” and select “Show Package Contents”
    Open the “Contents” directory and then go into “SharedSupport”
  2. RafaelT macrumors 65816

Jun 9, 2010
    Lakeland, FL
  3. robby818 macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2007
  4. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Nov 7, 2010
    Apple Manor
    Hold alt while clicking "install" in the AppStore. This will prevent the AppStore from checking your version.
  5. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

Jul 2, 2008
  6. robby818 macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2007
    Sweet, thanks! :) Also, there was a message about a newer version of this app already being installed and needing to delete the older version...somehow I got around this either by clicking on Install multiple times or holding down alt while clicking on Install. Downloading for the second time. Thankfully I have a fat pipe.
  7. Gen macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2008
    Does it automatically install, or do you have to click-to-install after it downloads?
  8. robby818, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

robby818 macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2007
    I'm going to tell you in a minute. I think after the 3.74 GB file downloads you have the opportunity to quit the installer, in other words you have to click to install.

UPDATE: Yep, you just quit the installer and now you will find that the "Install OSX Lion" file is in the Applications folder.
  9. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Aug 11, 2009
    It autostarts the installer in SL. You can quit it and start it later if you want.
  10. Gen macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2008
    Did you find the InstallESD.dmg file? Or are you not going to burn a copy of Lion?
  11. illjazz macrumors regular

Apr 18, 2008
    I'm also wondering about this. I just bought a brand-new Macbook Pro last week so I don't have much to lose. I'd like to install Lion completely fresh, but it appears that's not possible in an official, supported way via the App Store. So the alternative is to grab this file and do it the old-fashioned way by burning it on a DVD or restoring to a flash drive? Too bad the installer doesn't give an option to wipe the drive completely and then install Lion...
  12. robby818 macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2007
    I didn't bother to look inside the App yet, but I assume it is there.