So where to purchase from

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abeld61014, Oct 24, 2011.

1. abeld61014 macrumors member

So i guess ive decided on getting the base 13 inch model as it is all i require, and im reluctant to spend big on this line, preferring to wait for the new redesign next year before forking out the big bucks as waiting is not an issue.

1) If i expand the RAM to 8GB myself do i void my entire warrantee which im not prepared to do so in that case is it worth paying apple to increase for me or is there little difference for someone who is mainly word processing, surfing the web and listening to music/watching fillms.

2) Where to purchase from ? Now i know my friends before have got great deals from an apple store itself eg free nano with purchase of a mac, if this is not the case is it ok to order online for example if i have a problem will i have to send it back to them onlione or can i take it into a genius bar.

Thanks and apologies for my lack of knowledge.

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

1. No, it will not void the warranty, and for what you do, you don't really need the RAM upgrade anyway.

2. The cheapest place online is MacMall (with 3% AppleInsider discount). They are an authorized Apple Reseller and you can still take it to your nearest Apple Store to a Genius for service if need be. As long as it's under warranty, it does not matter where you purchase from, Apple will service it. The cheapest place overall is Micro Center ($999 for the base). Either way, I'd hold off for a few days until either of those places have the refreshed model from today in stock. Get more for your buck and don't purchase from Apple, when you can save around $150-$200 depending on the place. If you live near a Micro Center, get it from there.

3. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

4. abeld61014 thread starter macrumors member

Sound advice, however i live in the UK which might present a problem hmmm

5. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Then ordering online is your best bet. Wait until MacMall.com updates to the refreshed model, then go here http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/ to get the best price. Should be $1,091 (US) shipped, no tax, free shipping, Apple Authorized.

6. abeld61014 thread starter macrumors member

This looks to be the best option, thanks for the advice !

----------

I just contacted Macmall, they unfortunately do not deliver to the UK, back to square one !

7. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

No problem. Just go to Apple education store UK. You can get £59.40 discount on the base 13" model.

8. abeld61014 thread starter macrumors member

Cant understand why it is cheaper here and without even asking what institution i am at, as it stands i have already graduated university but currently enrolled at a college course anyway.