So...where to splurge on the new MacPro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by treehorn, Jan 8, 2008.

1. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

I've been waiting since August to get a MacPro as I'm doing more and more at home (or rather bringing work home with me). And my old iMac just ain't cuttin' the mustard.

So now that they finally have upgraded the MacPro somewhat, is the standard set up a good way to go (since I can have it right away)?

Current specs are:

2.8 Quad
    2GB Ram (was figuring to upgrade to at least 8GB w/third party after the fact, but might have to upgrade to 4GB now since it doesn't seem that 3rd party is ready for this yet)
    320 GB hard drive (tempted to upgrade to 500 via apple and get another one after the fact 3rd party)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (this is where I'm not sure what would be the way to go. Stay with the 'basic?' Upgrade to 2 ATI? or the NVIDIA Geoforce 8800?)

Basically would only be running one display (figure I'll do reference work at work). They didn't upgrade the ACDs, did they?

Is that a good system for FCP and Motion work, or where would you recommend upgrading?

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

I'll be keeping everything stock except the graphics, upgraded to the 8800 GT.

Also, I'll be removing one of the processors, since I don't need 8 cores, and I'd rather have more RAM (3rd party) and HD space (also 3rd party).

3. appledog macrumors newbie

I need help on splurging as well:

I have questions about processor and video card as well.
    Graphic designer using CS (will upgrade to CS3), getting more into photography. Very little video (none professionally), no gaming.

I'll buy, but sticker shock is a concern...
    a mistake to go with the single core and save $500?
    I'm assuming the standard ATI vid card is acceptable for my work?
    Thanks.

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

will you be using Aperture or Lightroom?

Aperture uses your graphics card quite a lot. Lightroom not as much.

What resolution will you be running? if you're doing one of the 30 inch displays, or multiple displays, and also running Aperture, the upgraded graphics card will benefit you.

If you're using iView or something like that, or if you're only dealing with a single display that isn't a 30" one, then the stock card will work for you for now. You can always upgrade in the future if you need more visual speed.

5. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

Well, I put my money where my mouth was/is and after almost a year of waiting to get a new computer (was planning this last May, but kept waiting for @$@# upgrade to happen), plopped down my hard earned cash and got the following:

AirPort Extreme card (Wi-Fi)
    One 16x SuperDrive
    Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
    Apple Mighty Mouse
    Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X
    2GB (2 x 1GB)
    320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    Accessory kit
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI)

Based on recommendations here and on the Apple FCP support forum, decided to upgrade RAM and get at least one 500GB hard drive at a later date (like in a few weeks, when this one is on route)

Also decided to upgrade to the NVIDIA 8800, as I do a lot of work in Motion, which is very GPU intensive (and was told that a single kick butt card would work better than 2 decent cards)

And got the Airport Express card (even though the computer will be hooked up directly to my Airport Extreme, and thus, I believe, can use that to 'broadcast' songs to my stereo in the next room)

Now I start the 'what monitor do I get' and 'what reference speakers should I buy' angst!

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Remember... it's not a single core, but a single QUAD core :p It sounds like more than enough for what you'll be doing with it - I don't believe CS3 is even optimised for octo-core anyway.

7. appledog macrumors newbie

aperture or lightroom?
    I was torn on that as well... from what I've read, I'd probably slightly prefer aperture. But lightroom will be included in CS3, and I'm already dropping $4 grand on MP/CS3/monitor, that extra $300 might not be smart for me right now.

Monitor? I can't swing 30" now... I'll have to go 23" now, either Apple or 3rd party.

Apple Care? I'll probably buy it and get the Apple monitor. (I would never buy an Apple monitor without AppleCare, and since it covers the monitor if purchased with MP, I'll probably do that.)

8. Synapple macrumors regular

I dont' think Lightroom comes with CS3: Adobe CS3

I believe you can get up to a $150 discount if you buy it together with Photoshop (single product only).