So where's the intel HD 4000 10% performance increase driver?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhiteIphone5, Apr 30, 2013.

1. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Couple of articles have stated that the driver would be released within the first week of April. Just wondering, where's our update?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Windows machines can download the update separately. OSX needs an update to recieve the benefits. Probably in 10.9.

3. leman macrumors 604

It has been released, you can download it here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com

Of course its a Windows driver, but nobody was claiming anything else, right? :D

4. mykem macrumors regular

Also not only does the new driver improves performance but also improvement in the overall power consumption.

5. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

i know! love it

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Where do you need those 10 %?

7. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I don't think it's a question of need. If there is an update that brings such a great improvement + better power management, users deserve to have it.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Great improvement?
    The press releases talked of up to 10%.
    Nvidia and AMD frequently talk of up to 30-50% with new drivers and they bring those new drivers way more frequently.
    Considering that Intel's drivers are considered sub par, one could expect higher "up to" claims.

I doubt it will just affect anything with Apple. The drivers aren't really the same and at least for the HD 3000 the OSX Version was already more than 10% faster.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Doesn't apple write all the drivers? If that's that case it doesn't matter if Intel wrote a new driver for windows we're waiting for apple, and so they may not have tweaked the driver to be as efficient or they may already found the power and speed enhancements.

10. leman macrumors 604

Well, they do it in tandem as far as I know, but the bulk part is indeed written by Apple. Most of functionality of windows drivers revolves around gaming performance, something Apple drivers usually lack (although, 10.8.3 was a big step in the right direction). Still waiting for Opengl 4.3 (or at least 4.1) though :)