So where's the moisture damage indicators?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scaredpoet, Sep 30, 2012.

1. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Remember these? They used to be the bane of every Genius Bar appointment-holder's existence:

[​IMG]

The locations of these moisture sensors were well know for just about every iPhone up to the 4S, but I can't find them in the 5. Surely, Apple still wants a quick way for their techs to know when an iPhone has legitimately "just stopped working," and when it stopped because it took a dunk in the drink.

Anyone know where they might be hiding?

2. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I feel bad for the genius if they are inside the lightning port.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No indicators needed; they're already damaged out of the box :D

Kidding aside. Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing.

4. jester0723 macrumors regular

Makes me miss the Blackberry days when there was one indicator behind the back plate under the battery. If you fished it out of the water fast enough and ripped out the battery, it wouldn't even get wet :rolleyes:

5. andylee97 macrumors newbie

they are on the side where the sim card is inserted. I went to purchase applecare for my new i5 and the genius there popped out my sim card and shined a flash light into the port to look for water damage.

6. skidbubble macrumors 6502

Why wouldn't they be in the same places as before?

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

There would be an indicator inside the phone. All the genius would need to do is pop the back of and check inside.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can't pop the back of iPhone 5.

9. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

What they told my girlfriend when we went into the Apple store with her 4 is that there was 2 on the outside and 2 on the inside. Don't know how much truth there was to that but she dropped it in a sink full of water and only managed to set off one external one but they gave her a new phone anyways lol.

10. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

Just inside the sim slot.
    Watch a tear down video for proof.

11. scaredpoet thread starter macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Because both of those places changed quite a bit. The headphone jack moved to the bottom next to the sync port, and the sync port is smaller and totally different in design now.

----------

Ah, so there it is. Thanks!

12. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

They are inside the lighting port lol.

13. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

[​IMG]

I wonder if it's any more difficult to trip the sensor in the SIM slot? It seemed like the old would go off if you were using it on a muggy day.

14. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

I think the reasoning behind it is opening all these sim slots and having them laying on the counter with 30 to 40 people in an apple store at a given time.

When I was at the Apple store yesterday one of the guys was inspecting a phone for water damage (Inspection for Applecare+). The Guy had to get out his iPhone and use the flashlight app to even see inside of the phone. I hope its deep enough to prevent hand moisture/humidity.

15. marddin macrumors 6502

So is it in the sim slot or in the lighting port??

Seem to be getting mixed responses.

16. trixnrice macrumors member

i've opened up my iphone 5's, there are two water markers on the inside. its not hard for them to pop the screen off. the genius cant/wont do it, but he'll take it to the tech guy in the back and he'll check.

17. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I can confirm this ... Took an iPhone 5 in to get AppleCare + and all the Genius did was pop the sim tray and took a very quick look and said ok your good. I flat out asked is that where the water indicator is and he said "one of them"

18. Kyleptrsn1 macrumors newbie

Makes me miss the days when they were obvious white tabs under the battery that were the size of a hole punch. Just peel, punch, and stick and nobody could ever prove otherwise.