So which is it? LED or LCD?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bacaramac, May 22, 2008.

1. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I was reading Apple's build process and ran across this:

Mercury: As part of Apple’s ongoing environmental efforts, Apple plans to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury in flat panel displays. In keeping with this goal, Apple has initiated the transition to mercury-free LED backlighting in portable products starting with the 15-inch MacBook Pro in June 2007 and MacBook Air in January 2008. As this technology becomes more technically and economically feasible, Apple intends to apply it across all displays. All iPods and iPhone use mercury-free LEDs to illuminate their displays.

I thought they were using LCD Screens per the iPhone specs on Apple's website.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/index.html#technology
    http://www.apple.com/environment/materials/

2. mini/mac macrumors member

3. neven macrumors 6502a

LCD is the type of screen iPhones and iPods use.

LED is the type of backlight they (and some laptops) use.

SO, they're LED-backlit LCD screens.

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Just to add if there is any confusion. LCD screens on their own do not emit any light. They require a backlight, in this case an LED, to shine light through the LCD screen so that it is easily visible.

LED backlights are desirable because they're more environmentally friendly and also consume less power than other backlight solutions.

5. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Ok, thanks guys. I kept seeing LED screen and was thinking that it replaced the LCD screen, but I now see it was referring to the lighting source only.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

FYI, the non-LED LCD screens (like the one I'm on now and the one in my MBP) use fluorescent lighting. I really don't understand how, but that's what I've been told. My dad has an LED-backlit DLP television, and it's ba-dass. Much brighter than my plain ol' 720p LCD. LEDs also use about as much power as a watch, so they help conserve your battery.

7. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Liquid Crystal Display

Light Emitting Diode

That help?

8. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I knew the name of the acronyms, but I never saw an LED screen referred to as an LED LCD Screen or Flouresent LCD Screen (it was always LED or LCD). Therefore, when I saw the Apple website and it said LCD under the iPhone section and LED under the build section I thought they were two different screens.

I completely understand the difference now.