So Which Mac for me? Advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by big.birdd, Aug 27, 2007.

1. big.birdd macrumors member

big.birdd

Hey guys, I'm a fairly recent switcher to mac, getting my first second hand mini (1.66 ghz 1gb ram 60gb hd) around 5 months ago.
    The OS didn't knock me over, but i never expected it to on a baseline consumer machine. But its a heck of a lot better than XP eh :). So i can't wait to buy my next mac when leopard is released!

So heres my slightly unique situation:
    I'm 16 years old, and dad gets fairly major discounts through work, (we pay 43% of the retail price through edu discounts and tax deductions.)
    We have a spare 20 inch dell display which is fine and is a reason im leaning slightly towards a headless machine, but is not a massive factor, but something to take into account.
    Now what I'm looking at is either the 2.4ghz 20 in iMac with 2gb memory, or the 2.8ghz imac with 2gb memory, or the baseline mac pro, probably also with a memory upgrade. I'm just curious to know in what ways the mac pro is better than the imac performance wise, seeing as the top end imac isn't too much cheaper than the bottom mac pro.

Now I suppose with this purchase I'm being a bit greedy in the sense that i don't really need the power of any of these machines, as the only real apps i use that really upset my mini in a big way are imovie, sibelius, and most importantly parallels. I also do a fair bit of video converting and youtube stuff, but really 80% of the use of this computer is word processing and internet.

But that aside, if you guys would tell me whether the leap to the mac pro is worth it for me considering i can afford it and have a display, or if its not worth getting the baseline model if I'm only really going to upgrade memory to 2 or 3 and maybe chuck in another hard drive.

Thanks in advance! :D :apple:

edit: thanks guys for your input! yes, I'm hoping this machine will last me a long time, and ill definitely be getting that second hard drive for my windows partition, or however it works with bootcamp :), ill stick up another thread when i place my order :D

2. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Thing with the MacPro is that it will last you much longer IMO.

You can keep adding RAM, upgrade the video card, add more HD etc. I know that if youre doing iMovie stuff and one day decided to do HD in iMovie, you will need a freaking huge HD. On the other hand, you could always get externals but internal is always cheaper.

Having said that the iMac looks really cool and has the screen built in as well which may or may be a disadvantage. The reason why the Mac Pro is PRO is because the user can then use his/her favourite or preferred brand for the monitor.

Dunno if that helps you but just my 2c.

3. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

I second that!!

4. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

another vote for the mac pro. The upgradability makes it easiliy a winner over the imac.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

MacPro all the way. The upgrade potential is great and when you run into the inevitable Windows only apps from school you add a separate hard drive just for Windows.

Cheers,

6. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

That is a great idea. Since money isn't too much of an issue, the MP looks like the way to go.

7. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

dont forget to keep us updated on what u plan to get big.birdd