So.... Which model is more popular? iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrentwoodTWO, Dec 7, 2014.

1. BrentwoodTWO macrumors member

I personally got an iPhone 6, went to a nearby shopping mall yesterday and asked the salesperson at the Apple store whether any iPhone 6/6+ was available. He told me that only iPhone 6 in Space Grey was available, meanwhile they had iPhone 6+ in all colors available. This is pretty anecdotal I suppose, but whats the reality? I can imagine that the 6 Plus should be widely more popular in Asia because they love larger screen phones.

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

There was a story a little while ago about how the 6 is outselling the 6+ by a wide margin, but then there's the question of weather that's just because of greater availability. Apple certainly thought that the 6 would be the more mainstream model.

3. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The 6 is the most popular. Figures released so far show that the 6 outsells the 6 plus 3:1 in the U.S. and 4:1 in the UK.

4. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

the 6 is more available and cheaper.

i know a few people who settled on the 6 because the 6+ was no where to be found.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

6 is probably a lot more popular, but even so, the Plus is clearly becoming the best selling phablet on the market. It's definitely a growing segment. I wouldn't be surprised if the gap narrowed when the 6S/6S Plus came out.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you want to go by sales numbers it's the 6. But Apple had been producing far more 6 than plus for most of the production cycle; supposedly plus production has since been ramped up.

There are a number of factors here outside just the obvious preference if one phone over another. I am sure some picked the 6 since it was all that was in stock. I'm sure others picked the plus since t was the "better" phone and ultimately found it too big. I honestly don't think any statistics out right now are going to tell us whether one phone is truly more popular than the other.

7. cababah macrumors 68000

Apple manufacturered more of the 6 and underestimated the demand for the 6+ which still is seeing some supply shortages compared to the 6.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's easy to grab a 6+ here in the UK, but the 4.7" is out of stock everywhere.

9. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Granted that I didn't try to get a 6, initially I couldn't get a 6 plus in 128GB I had to take the 64GB first and then wait to exchange it for the 128GB. I'm in the UK and live jaut outside London.

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

The 6 is easily more popular but the 6 Plus is pretty popular too for a phablet.

11. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

My local ATT store has any size or color if you want a Plus model but no 6's in stock either. I returned my Plus and had to order direct from Apple to get my 6 in less time than it would take to get one from ATT.

ATT rep here says no one wants the Plus and that they don't get many 6's in stock daily from Apple and what they do get is sold in the first hour. Rather than play roulette I just ordered one from Apple.

However nothing this ATT rep said proves anything other than people in this location don't want the Plus models.

12. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

13. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Both phones are very very very popular. I don't think it matters which one is more popular.

The iPhone 6 was always made to outsell the 6+. Apple made less 6+'s for this reason and now in most cases you can find the 6+ in stock all over the place whereas the iPhone 6 is seeing less and less stock. A lot of this has to do with Apple shifting production towards the 6+ because it was in large demand when the phones were first released.

If you want to go by sales numbers then the 6 is the most popular, but at the end of the day both devices are doing what they were designed to do

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

6 is more popular, but the 6+ popularity is obviously not what Apple expected.

15. ihonda macrumors 68000

Purchased a 6+ launch day. Just purchased a 6 yesterday. Gonna keep the 6, it's just better feeling and more snappy then the +. Yeah I'm giving up a few things but I'm also gaining one MAJOR thing.. usability.

16. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

17. BrentwoodTWO thread starter macrumors member

Been trying to find a goldl iPhone 6 64GB for my gf, its already sold out everywhere arghh...

18. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

been trying to sell a 6 for a few weeks, only lowball offers. put a 6 plus up for sale today and already have a solid offer to buy.

19. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

6 is still usable one hand but 6 plus is slippery and need to use both hand.

I prefer the 6 plus when texting, i hardly hit the wrong letter but it hard to take with you elsewhere.

I think phabet is still Samsung's market. Note 4 is more popular and price friendly, not that its not expensive but 6 plus is just too expensive even for the base capacity 16 GB.

20. BrentwoodTWO thread starter macrumors member

iPhone 6 Plus is overpriced compared to Note 4

21. thalazy macrumors regular

6 is.

It's hard to get a 6+ especially if you want a 128gb model. Maybe they didn't expect this much interest in the 6+ so they made less of them as to not have an overstock . I had to settle for a 64gb model as no one had the 128 in stock.

22. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Well during the last quarter the 6 plus was the best selling phablet in the U.S. beating out the note 4. However the 6 plus was on sale for a few weeks longer than the note 4 so it will be interesting to see the figures for the next quarter.

23. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

The wait is only a couple of weeks now if you order online....ordered my silver 128gb 6+ on 11/26 and it is saying I should have it by the end of this week.

24. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I would say the 6 is selling better, but the 6+ seems to be selling better than Apple or anyone could have thought. The 6 was always going to be the better seller. It's just fits way more people's lifestyles than a 6+ would. I think Apple got what they wanted with both phones, and now they are eating into Samsung's Phablet market.