so who has a jailbroken apple tv 2?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by goobot, Oct 20, 2010.

1. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

i am in the middle of doing it now. how about you?

edit: just finished

2. bigpatky macrumors regular

bigpatky

not until there's a good reason to do it.

3. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

If and when someone jailbreaks their ATV2 I'd like to hear about it. Please post some comments...

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

i am picking one up tomorrow (hope they have them in stock), and probably will JB it.

5. goobot thread starter macrumors 603

goobot

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Been a few jailbreaks already, just no reason to do it yet.

7. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

Just tried to do mine, and iTunes got stuck on the restore. Threw back the lovely Error 1602. Trying the restore on a different Mac now. :mad:

8. goobot thread starter macrumors 603

goobot

9. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Just jb mine. I was expecting something different but I guess its not time for that yet! Nothing on the screen to indicate its jb. I had to open up terminal and ssh into it, just to know I was jailbroke. Unless I did something wrong, thats it for now!

10. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

Yeah, got into DFU mode successfully, but on both machines iTunes verifies and restores the new firmware several times in a loop, then tells me it was unsuccessful with the error code 1602. I'm no stranger to jailbreaking, so this was a surprise to me, especially on a device that had never been cracked before.

I saved my shsh blobs the other day, so now I'm trying to use Tiny Umbrella to help me restore to the original, non-custom 4.1 firmware. If that doesn't work, I'm taking a sledge hammer to the thing. It's been a while since I've had a good old fashioned meltdown on a gadget.

11. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Thats it for now unless you can do this...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11266652#post11266652

12. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

According to Erica Sadun, 1602 is actually a successful jailbreak. Should be bale to disconnect it and boot it up via the powercord and it should be jailbroken. You can test via ssh via terminal. Let us know.

13. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

15. lilchub101 macrumors member

error 1600

I have been trying all night but I keep getting error 1600 any tips? I have tired many times but after about a min it gives me 1600 I have tried rebooting remaking the firmware and tried different macs what could I be doing wrong?

16. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

I got Error 1602, 1601, and 21 when restoring to the custom firmware. I also restored to the custom firmware a several times with iTunes reporting everything was successful. Each time, I'd turn the device on and no evidence of jailbreaking was evident in the onscreen menus. After a while I simply tried to ssh into it, and, "ssh root@apple-tv.local" with password "alpine" worked. I think I may have been confusing myself thinking I'd see the greenpois0n logo in the :apple:TV menu. Apparently that's not the case. So even if you're getting error messages, hook the :apple:TV back up to your tv and give ssh a whirl. If it works, you're good -- just wait until some apps start appearing.

17. Lintrix macrumors member

ugh ive been installing ATV 2G firmware all night trying to get this jailbreak to work.

I can build the custom IPSW, get it to go DFU, get it to restore with no error.. but when i plug the damn thing in and try to SSH, it doesn't connect. After awhile it will output:
    ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

18. wodeh macrumors regular

Already running bind (DNS), lighttpd (HTTP), php, subversion, irssi and then some. A tiny low powered webserver... that also entertains!

19. jgunn macrumors regular

nice, done mine but just waiting on some worthwhile stuff.

20. wodeh macrumors regular

Actually used the ATV in the office today to serve up a small test-site for debugging. Worked well!

Also passed a security scan fairly well, the lighttpd version could be a little more current- but I'm having trouble getting a working C compiler set up *on* the device.