So who hates the new UI

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mac17, Sep 9, 2007.

1. mac17 macrumors regular

i think the new UI feels cheap, cover flow is horrible and i hate that the artist is listed under the song name when searching through songs, idk maybe i just need to get used to it. Anyone feel the same or is it just me?
    edit: I'm not complaining about the main menu where the album art flies by, thats great!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah and punctuation is for losers.

The new UI is pretty sweet I think. Yeah the cover flow is a bit unneccesary, but overall I really like the floating artwork and pictures on the side. I think thats great.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You could probably get an 80gb 5.5g for a good price.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Coverflow is nice when you have all of the album artwork. I will have to see one of the new iPods in person before I decide wether i like it or not.

5. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

ye, but i love the look of the 6g and also the fact that it isnt plastic on the front.

6. tom5304 macrumors regular

I don't "hate" the new interface, but I sure don't like it and I won't buy into it. Why have a large screen if you're just going to chop it in half and fill one half with useless (to me) artwork or icons.

The UI has become sluggish and glitchy ever since the 5.5 generation, so I'm going to look into the iPod Touch or the iPhone for my next music player.

7. mac17 thread starter macrumors regular

do you suppose this has to do with hardware or software? Meaning can it be fixed?

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Testing the Classic I found the same thing. I notice the same with the Nano, but it didn't seem as bad.

My 2nd Gen Nano seems to have a much smoother interface.

9. tom5304 macrumors regular

Good question. I've asked around, both on MacRumors and elsewhere, but I haven't heard a satisfactory answer, although it's pretty much agreed by all but the most rabid fanboys that the new UI is more sluggish and glitchy than the 5g iPod's. For most people it's not a deal-breaker, but it is for me so what the hell, I'll get a touch-screen device and still be plenty happy.

I can't believe the problem is with software–this IS Apple, after all–but instead the problem almost has to be hardware-based. That's a small form factor trying to squeeze a lot of processing power out of what has to be the smallest possible electronics. Something had to give when Apple decided to push the UI to the max, and it appears that occasional catches and glitches were deemed acceptable.

I realize that 90% of iPod users either don't notice the slow responses to user inputs on the newer iPods, or they overlook the problems because the iPod really is still a great product.

When I press a button on a small consumer device I want to know that I've pressed the button by seeing something happen with the UI, but with the 5.5g iPods, and now the 6g iPods, there are too many lags between input and response, and the occasional lags are unacceptable to me.

Not knocking the iPod per se and I'm not knocking Apple. I just believe the classic iPod O/S has outgrown the hardware, and it's time for me to move on to a music player that responds the way I believe a $200-300 device should.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I do think it kind of sucks that Apple has apparently sacrificed practical performace and went instead for eye-candy like Coverflow and art work and things I have absolutely no need for, even though most of the public may love it. Apple doesn't make the iPod for me, it makes the iPod for the general public, which, when I think about it, makes me happy I'm not happy with the newer iPod's, hehe.

10. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

Hopefully it's something that can be remedied through firmware updates. Maybe Apple just hasn't had enough time to optimize the new interface for the hardware. I'm kind of surprised Apple didn't pick up on this in QA though. Whether it's un-optimized software or underpowered hardware, this kind of thing probably shouldn't have slipped through. Granted, I haven't touched a 3G nano or 6G iPod - maybe it's not as big an issue as it is being made to be.

Definitely glad I ordered a touch though :)

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I do notice the slowness that you guys are talking about with my new Classic. It isn't really bugging me, but I do notice it. I think splitting the screen in half to use for artwork is a perfect way of using the screen. Nothing is squished or difficult to read, everything fits just fine on the screen. Though didn't that method of UI display first come from the Zune? I find that a bit ironic.

12. beaker26 macrumors member

I would assume that a hard drive would be what makes a classic slow, because it has to bring up the album art and it takes a few seconds with the hard drive spinning. If the laggy issues aren't apparent with a nano, that would be why.

13. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I remember the UI for the 5G iPod being sluggish at v1.0. I'm sure it'll be alright. You'll see.:apple:

14. tom5304 macrumors regular

That will be welcome news if it's true.

15. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

The classic UI is very slow from what i've tried at the apple store... even the nano is a little sluggish. But I really don't like the classic UI. Coverflow is very slow. I am glad I have my 5.5G.