So Who Here Is Into Cubing? (Rubik's Cubes)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xXriderXx7, Aug 6, 2009.

1. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Who here dabbles in playing with Rubik's cubes? Anyone own any V-Cubes?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can't even solve one, although I have solved 8 squares (out of 9) on one side. Just once though, and the other sides didn't look right. :eek:

I know there's an easy method to solve them, but without looking it up and cheating, there's no way I'd be able to solve one.

3. xXriderXx7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Haha. They arent too hard at all, its all patterns and knowing which way the cubes are flipped. I only got into them about a year ago, but now have a pretty extensive collection ranging from a home made magnetic cube to a V-Cube 7.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I like to do patterns, from the easy ones (checkerboard, diagonals) to the difficult (cube in a cube in a cube)*

*I'll explain that one:
    Starting with a solved cube, looking at three sides... if you could just take a 2x2 cube and rotate it, now each side has an "L" of one color, and a 2X2 that's the color of an adjacent side. Now, if you could just take the corner piece in that 2x2 "cube in a cube" and rotate it again (the same direction) you'd have each of the three colors on each side, and it looks like a single cube rotated in a 2x2 cube rotated in a 3x3 cube. But of course, you can't just take a 2x2 and rotate it, you have to solve it as a whole.

5. Miguey macrumors 6502

used to be all into it...soph year and junior year..best time was like 50 secs then it became this huge ass fad senior year so i stopped =/

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I have 4 rubik's cubes in my car, lol for work. :D I currently have 6 rubiks cubes. A black grey white monotone cube, a standard color set, a void cube, a groovy hippie cube, a 2x2, and a bump cube.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Has anyone ever seen the version that's all black, and each side has the squares numbered from 1-9? I had one, it got broken before I ever solved it. Cheaply made. Someone (ahem!) scrambled it before I had a chance to look at the orientation of each set of numbers relative to the other 5 sides. not:cool:

8. xXriderXx7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Exact same thing that happened at my school. Me and one friend brought cubes back the first day after spring break, and within a month countless kids had them. I kind of stopped cubing...but now that schools out Im really getting back into it.

I just ordered a white Void Cube! :D

9. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I lost my 3x3 and my Professor's Cube shattered last year. Haven't bought a new one yet. I used to be able to solve the Professor's Cube quite well.

10. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I have a 4x4 cube, I got 1.5 sides done, but that's the best I could do.

Anyone have a good tutorial?

11. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I can solve a 3x3 and a 2x2 (ha).

My record for the 3x3 is about 1 minute 20 seconds (not very good in the world of speed cubing, but it's good for me :D)

The 4x4 and 5x5 intimidate me too much (plus they're kinda pricey), so i haven't given them a go yet...

12. Jamo12 macrumors regular

Jamo12

I am happy to know that there are other cubers out there in the world. I have the 3 v-cubes and average about
    14 sec on 2x2
    38 sec on 3x3
    2'14" on 4x4
    <5 min for 5x5
    Slow for the 6x6 and 7x7.
    V-cube 5 is my favorite cube of all time.

13. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares