So, who here is loving Google Chrome >* on their mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iFanboy, Jun 10, 2010.

1. iFanboy Guest

I was a chrome skeptic initially, but now at version 5 it's become my default on OSX.

Personally, I find it faster, more responsive, and seemingly "smoother" than safari. That's not to say Safari is the anthesis of that, it's handles much better than Firefox, but it's not *quite* as snappy or smooth as Chrome IMHO.

Oh, and it's extensions are getting better.

Firefox has really lost it's way since the days that it slayed IE. It's not bad really, it's just now that it's a measurable margin behind Safari and Chrome in pretty much everything I can think of.

Oh, and it's HTML5 h.264 boycott is killing it for me. I'm sorry, but h.264 is not the same as the activex war of old. HTML5 video powered by h.264 is going to be more and more ubiquitous as the multi-platform video format for the web. Chrome's decision to support it natively and the fact that Youtube are experimenting with HTML5 h.264 powered video more and more pretty much means it's not going to remain a niche tool like activex.

So, who here is loving google chrome >>>*

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There are enough annoying things to prevent me from considering it a serious web browser. For example; why can one not remove the "Other Bookmarks" from the Bookmarks menu?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm definitely not loving it. Even the latest version feels unpolished. I try it every once and a while, but just don't feel the magic. It doesn't feel any faster or better than Firefox or Safari for most sites. I mostly use Firefox and have been trying out Safari 5 this week since it's new again.

4. Restinbeast macrumors member

Seems wayyyy faster to me, and I love the sync features and you don't have to use crappy 3rd party add ons that crash frequently.

Chrome is the best.

5. calb macrumors 6502

It is fast, and I often find myself wanting to like it... but I just can't.

It's not Mac-like. I think my issue with it is quite as simple as that.

6. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

I love Chrome. It's perfect in nearly every way for me. Only things I'm missing in it are Torbutton (Firefox extension) and Reader (Safari 5 feature that's already spoiled me).

I'm using Safari 5 right now just because it's all shiny and new, but unless someone quickly develops Safari 5 extensions that move the tabs to above the address bar and that merge the search and address bars, I'm probably going to switch back to Chrome again. All else equal I would use Safari 5 just because it's Apple and I [somewhat irrationally] consider it better integrated for that reason alone, but those two features of Chrome are very important to me.

I'd also really like to uninstall the ugly bloatware that is Firefox, so a Torbutton extension for Chrome or Safari would be super nice.

7. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

8. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

I use the Windows version a lot, but the Mac version is far behind. It annoys me that you can't turn off spell checking because the controls just aren't implemented, smooth scrolling seems to be impossible to get working with the Magic Mouse and performance seems to be worse than Windows version too.

I would prefer Safari, but not until I can get all the features I love in Firefox for it without hacks.

I keep coming back to Firefox. Yes, it's a bit bloated but after a bunch of extensions it works just like I want it.