So, who is the new MacBook really for?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nStyle, Apr 27, 2015.

1. nStyle macrumors 65816

Like, really?

Am I missing something?

It's $1,299 for a very small laptop with a permanent keyboard attached that isn't very powerful at all and requires adapters out the @$$

Power users? No, because they already have a rMBP, and it's not even a powerful laptop.

Casual users? No, because it's priced out of their reach or they likely already have an Air and can live without the screen.

Apple addicts? This is the only category I can see actually buy one, but I can't see them recouping their R&D with sales to this demographic at all.

2. wolfie macrumors regular

How about some students.

Im a med student. The most taxing things I do to the laptop is open word, PDF files, and surf the net/mail.

Why would I want, or need a powerful computer. I throw it in my small bag, along with my other gear and I call it a day. The laptop is small, which is great for lectures where the fold out table infant of you isn't that big to begin with.

I haven't had any reason to buy an adapter yet (2 weeks now). I dropbox everything with my other mac desktop at home.

3. newellj macrumors 601

Yeah, a lot...

You missed people who travel, or people who need an OS X machine that is compact and/or lightweight and has a good display.

As far as pricing, if you compare Apples to Apples, the pricing is right in the ballpark.

As far as power, it's not intended to replace a 15" quad rMBP. For 99% of what 95% of users do every day, it has more than enough power.

I suspect the rMB is partly proof of concept. To the extent that it succeeds (see Steve Jobs quote below), we will see some or all of its design features spreading through the laptop lineup.

4. nStyle thread starter macrumors 65816

News flash: millions of laptops didn't magically stop working with the release of the rMB. There are millions of people with millions of machines who travel everyday and nothing has changed with the release of this computer.

The 13" rMBP is still compact, lightweight, and has an excellent display. I get that things are relative. But for what you get, the 13" just makes infinitely more sense.

5. ricktat macrumors 65816

The 13" rMBP is still heavy to me. Feels like the weight of a compact windows 15". The air is the perfect size but lacks the display. Add the retina display to the air and you will have perfection for me.

6. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

Different strokes for different folks, but honestly the weight would be the only reason to choose the RMB over the MBPR. Not to mention the MBPR is cheaper. Why not get the better laptop for a cheaper price?

7. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

OP is picking a fight :)

IMHO, this laptop has a place, but not at this price point. Shave a couple hundred off, and I think you start to see it fall into the product line better. Even better, kill the MBA and let this one stand in its place.

The processor and port issue will clear themselves up in a year or two. Once they do, this will be an excellent machine. However, if I had to buy TODAY, I would go rMBP 13.

----------

Exactly. That is what the consumers were wanting... And what I think they will end up having in this new MacBook after 1 or 2 more generations.

8. TEBnewyork macrumors regular

After owning the MB for almost 2 weeks the MBA seems like the misfit in the lineup.

If you need lots of ports and power go for rMBP. Since they've made it smaller with better battery life it is just a better all around machine than the MBA. If you haven't checked specs recently you will see that MBP has a smaller footprint than MBA. Retina displays make a BIG difference.

Otherwise I would get the MB. It may have less power than a current version MBA but it is just feels like a nicer laptop in so many ways.

Little things make a difference (pun intended). We talk about the screen, trackpad and keyboard but what about the charging brick that is more iPad sized....cord that detaches from the brick. I never liked having to take my big laptop cords with me (perhaps because I always had the extension part on it.
    The fact that in a pinch you can use external battery pack to keep it alive if needed.

9. tecnho macrumors 6502

There are lots of holes in the OP's plot, but can we stop a second to address this outlandish claim specifically? So... the fact that I have causal computing needs equates to an inability to afford high end equipment?

10. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

One thing that has bothered me. With all this move to wireless and reducing ports, they STILL include an old school headphone jack? Why not put a USB- C there, include an adapter for headphones (or sell it separately), that way there is more utility there. For all the "forward thinking" I would have though that to be an easy call.

11. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

This. People will either like this computer and buy it, and recommend it to their friends, family & colleagues, or they won't. As Steve Jobs said, "It'll all work itself out".

I suspect it will be quite successful.

Whether you, as an individual, think it's right for you, and a good deal, it's entirely up to your personal values and circumstances.

Just please don't try to tar everybody with the same brush if you don't happen to like it....

----------

For you.

Not for everybody, obviously, otherwise they wouldn't buy it.

12. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

I think a better phrasing would be... With such casual usage, why would you spend a premium price? $1,300 is a bit steep for casual usage (IMHO). Not that you cannot afford it... merely that (for me) it seems to be a very expensive solution. But it's your cow juice (moo-lah), by all means do as you like. :D

13. rahulr macrumors regular

There's so much angst towards this thing with people either having to justify their purchase or those railing against them for making bad decisions. The reality is that Apple makes personal products that may or may not be right for you. Nothing about this laptop says that the 13.3 is a bad machine or the MBA has a bad screen. All this is is a new product line that some will love and others won't purchase.

I have no problems countering the arguments about lag, speed and usability. But for someone to make the general statements that says essentially People who buy this machine are doing so out of ignorance towards everything else in the market. Maybe just maybe we consciously made a decision because like everything we buy, there are pros and cons and for some the pros outweigh the cons.

----------

Not just inability to afford but also according to the OP's logic you should be using an iPad or a RMBP, nothing else matters.

14. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

It's for casual users. Just because the price puts it out of that category for you doesn't mean it does for others. People want a portable laptop with retina display. It is the ideal laptop for the majority of users and its sales will reflect that. It's also for people that travel and want the portability.

15. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

My wife would be a prime candidate. Her needs are simple, rarely requiring anything beyond eMail, Web browsing, iTunes and Photos. She never uses expansion ports, even USB. She's got a 13" MB Air now, but she would love the Retina screen. The price difference is negligible for us.

I'm confident her current Air still has 2 to 3 more years left in it, but when the time comes to replace it, there's a good chance it will be with a MacBook Retina.

16. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I have tried it several times but it is not for me. Too lightweight - feels cheap; definitely underpowered; and the screen is way too small. That said, there are Apple fan boys and girls who will buy "anything" Apple churns out - and they will always find a way to convince themselves that it has value and is affordable - even if facts dictate otherwise. So while our "dislike of macbook" comments may not be welcomed here - the should be. Everyone's opinion matters.

17. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I like it and am going to buy one. Therefore I am a fanboy?

18. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

It's a second Mac that I use in demand. Charge it like a tablet and take it everywhere. It by no means is a workstation or desktop replacement.

19. ct1211 macrumors 6502

Its for someone that finds it meets their needs or desires. It clearly is not for you right? Also, the one I bought was about $1,600 because I was dumb enough to pay for the 1.3 processor all MR "expert" snots claim is clearly not worth it. BTW it fits on the tiny tray table of the new micro seats Delta just installed on their jets. I am typing on one now. My 13" rMBP I took on trip to vegas last week did not fit.

Party on!

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Calling someone an ignorant, deluded fanboy because their opinion differs from yours is not stating facts or offering an opinion, lt is trolling. It is also not terribly mature.

21. tecnho macrumors 6502

Being an Apple fan is not a derogatory term even though you are attempting to use it that way. Is that what this is about-people feeling excluded from the pro Apple group? Did the name of this forum elude you? It serves many kinds of users but I would wager that most have positive feelings about Apple products in general, there is no reason for there to be anything out of the ordinary with this new product in terms of reception. To argue that a product is 200-300 dollars overpriced is one thing (which I happen to disagree with), but to say that this notebook has no value is ludicrous.

22. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

For people saying its for casual users who just surf the net, email, write text, Netflix, power points, PDFs, etc. the rMBP has to be compared against an iPad with a keyboard case. That would do all those same jobs at least as well if not better, and it's much cheaper, just as portable, has a retina screen also, has a higher resolution camera, etc.

I agree with OP. For light work and casual users who want an ultra portable device, there are better devices you can get.

23. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

Your first and last sentences were good, but unfortunately the rest of was drivel.

When, (oh when!) will Macrumors posters understand that purchase decisions are a personal choice, and that people have a right to express their choice, even if you happen to disagree with it?

Comments such as "the screen is way too small" are beyond meaningless. Too small for what? Too small for running a massive spreadsheet? Probably yes (so use an external screen). Too small for web browsing? Hundreds of millions of tablet and phone users think not.

If you are going to give an opinion, which is your prerogative, kindly precede it with something like: "in my opinion....", "I think that .....", "for my use it is......".

Making simple black and white statements as if they are somehow universal truths is actually pretty offensive. It's like rubbishing someone's political or religious beliefs, their taste in art, their cultural background etc. - it just demonstrates an inflexible, unsympathetic, unimaginative and closed mind.

If you really want this, please move to the Islamic State or somewhere similar, where you will find plenty of people with a hatred of divergent viewpoints.

24. tecnho macrumors 6502

Can I work on a word document side by side with say, a browser for reference in a split screen on the iPad?

25. PittAir macrumors regular

Who's it for? Me.

25,000 air miles in the last 12 days with this thing. Three continents. Two oceans.

I use a Citrix client over a VPN, the MS Office suite (PS--Office 2016 for Mac is still half baked for me, so I still use 2011), various and sundry web browsers and extensions.

I'm guessing that I represent 90% of the business traveling public here with my needs.

I want thin, light, and powerful enough to do what I need to do.

I've had every 11 inch MBA they have ever made, trying to get to this sweet spot. This machine does it all for me, as I have found on this road trip.

Dropbox, Plugbug for an extra USB power port on the 29W USB-C power adapter to power my iphone, and wireless tethering to my iphone hotspot have made the ports for me unnecessary--that was my biggest concern.

I have the USB-C to USB adapter (for the occasional key drive) and the USB-C to video adapter (for presentations only). Didn't use them that much.

I'm still trying to figure out how long the power lasts on battery only. Looks like about 8 hours, same as my MBA.

Is it expensive? Yes. But that's the early adopter tax.

Two years from now this form factor and laptop will dominate the market, and will be cheaper.

I'm loving it.