Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike P.

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
Tampa Bay Area
Well I can't personally say anything about the 3rd party brands but I can say that you will not regret going OEM. I had a Canon 40D and bought the grip a little down the road and loved it. Just last year I upgrading to the 7D and bought the grip at the same time because I knew I would eventually want it. Had to sell the 40D tho :(
What I like about the OEM grips is that if fits perfect and they have the same styling as the camera body itself.
Hope that helps.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Provided that all of the same buttons are duplicated on the third-party grips, you probably don't stand to lose much on a third-party grip for the XSi. It's not a weather sealed camera, so the official grip probably doesn't offer much that the knock-offs don't. However, there is one consideration which may be important. Do you ever see yourself purchasing an L-Bracket for the XSi? If so, keep in mind that they are custom made to fit the exact contours of a particular body and grip combination. Other than that, I don't see why you should save yourself a little money and get a non-Canon grip. People on Amazon seem to be pretty happy with them.

nicque

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2006
I bought the Opteka grip from Amazon. Works great and allows you to feel more control over the camera.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Opteka!

I use an XSi aswell, and just got this bad boy a few days ago and I love it! Only complaint is that the adjusting wheel and shutter button don't feel exactly like the XSi, but when shooting it is super negligible and I don't even notice. The grip on the grip is aesthetically and cosmetically the same as what is on the XSi, looks and feels like the exact same stuff.

Only $49.99 for just the grip, or $69.99 with two of their batteries.

I can't attest to how good the batteries are, I've heard mixed reviews. (And I have two legit Canon LP-E5s, so I didn't feel the need to have 4).

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
They offer extended battery life, and they have a dedicated shutter release button to make portrait shots more comfortable.

They also make the camera feel much more balanced with heavier lenses and give you a little extra something to curl your fingers around when shooting in either orientation.

However, as M-5 said, a grip makes shooting in portrait orientation much more comfortable and more stable, since you don't have to jack one elbow up in the air to take the shot. It allows you to keep both elbows firmly by your side when handholding the camera.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
They also make the camera feel much more balanced with heavier lenses and give you a little extra something to curl your fingers around when shooting in either orientation.

+1

On a recent photo day trip a friend of mine was using the Nikon AF-S 300mm f/2.8. I didnt realize until that afternoon he had been using it on a D5000!! :p

I dont see how he held that thing all day.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Thank you all for your time. I did look at the Optika, but for some reason I let it slip in this post. An L bracket would be nice, but they seem to be made for the "good" cameras and they are pricey. ~$160 to mount your camera for portrait. And I would probably need a new ball head. I want to standardize on one manufacturer. I have an aluminum 055 and a monopod from Manfrotto and will have a CF in a few years.

From what I have been able to gather in this bit of research the 3 rd party grips are made using the same molds as canon. Optika looks good, even if the guy had to add a bit of superglue to the rubber.

In a max of three years I will go either to FF or whatever replaces the 7D by then, I will need a lot of new stuff then and don't want to sink money into XSi stuff that won't carry over.

Thanks again.

Dale

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
for the record, a battery grip doesn't "extend battery life." an extra battery in your pocket is the same thing as two in a grip. you just don't know which one's dead when you put two in the grip.

I also don't recommend getting a 3rd-party grip with batteries. those batteries can be sketchy...stick with genuine Canon or Sterlingtek batteries.

I use a Phottix grip. the main differences are that the battery cover isn't covered with the grip material, and the shutter press isn't the "soft" press that the normal button has. I only use it when I know I'll be shooting in portrait a lot.

Mike P.

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
Tampa Bay Area
for the record, a battery grip doesn't "extend battery life." an extra battery in your pocket is the same thing as two in a grip. you just don't know which one's dead when you put two in the grip.

I also don't recommend getting a 3rd-party grip with batteries. those batteries can be sketchy...stick with genuine Canon or Sterlingteck batteries.

I use a Phottix grip. I only use it when I know I'll be shooting in portrait a lot.

On the 7D u can check battery life, recharge performance, and how many shutter clicks since charge on any single battery :)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Another thing I like about grips is the addition of a tray that holds AAA batteries. If I'm off in Idaho, Montana or wherever I'll be this shooting season I can always find AAAs. Cheaper than a night in a motel to charge things.

Speaking of, does anyone make a car charger for camera batteries?

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Wow! ~$5-$108. Thai's quita a shopping range.

Thanks muchly.

Toxic: The Phottix looks very nice, but the total shipped to the US is $95. Not much of a savings over the OEM.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.