so who successfully swapped out their unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spinedoc77, Mar 14, 2011.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm still waitin for my ipad2, but I've got my unlimited plan and SIM card on the side. Who has successfully swapped over their old SIM? Did you have to call ATT? Did you just swap it over with no call to ATT?

2. bmat macrumors 6502

There is another thread on this -- but some had just switched SIM cards. I called, and they did it over the phone. But then I had to get a new SIM card for my old iPad before I could activate a new plan on it.

3. itcrashed macrumors regular

itcrashed

Just swap sim cards that way you can have an unused sim for the old ipad - makes it a hair easier to sell with a new sim.

4. Rafterman macrumors 68000

If you remember your original iPad AT&T login info, go here:

http://www.att.com/ipadlanding

If you can log in successfully, you can change your IMEI and ICCID numbers from the old iPad to the new one. No need to change SIM cards and you retain your grandfathered unlimited plan, if you had it originally.

EDIT:

Forgot to add, after you do that, the "Cellular Data" screen on your iPad should change from the new user signup screen to a simple login screen. Log in with the same account you used to change your IMEI and ICCID numbers and you should be good to go. You can verify that you are correctly signed up and still have the unlimited plan.

5. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Awesome!! Just logged in and I can view my account. I don't have an ipad2 yet, and already sold my ipad1, but at least I am prepared to setup the new device when I get it.

6. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I just swapped the SIM cards and the new one worked fine. Going to sell the iPad 1 with the new SIM card in it, and use the iPad 2 with the old one.

7. ozred macrumors 6502

Remember that unfortunately the bad people scam the carriers, which impacts us.

I highly suggest you call AT&T.

Your new device has a unique identifier. If you do _not_call they assume you're a scammer and will usually revoke your plan. You've been advised.

8. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

I called ATT on friday and they asked me for the new IMEI, told me to swap SIMs and reboot...

9. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Its possible. AT&T does advise the method I just posted or call AT&T directly and they will change the numbers for you. They specifically said to *not* just change SIM's.

10. ozred macrumors 6502

Precisely! This is the proper way & very fast.

If they have to "chase you" by calling after their automated system detects the new number, you'll be reduced to tiered pricing.

They are swamped at this point, also if you read _your contract when swapping devices it's your responsibility to contact them. Not the other way around.

Cheers :)