So, Who thinks there will be a 4G Verizon iPhone in July?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flipster, Feb 13, 2011.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

So, the news for the Verizon iPhone is great. My aunt has one, and her service is unbelievable compared to my brothers AT&T one.

I want to upgrade to it so BADLY, but I already have a 3G Droid X, which is a fantastic phone in every aspect, but I just really like the iPhone.

The kicker is the 4G. I will only upgrade to the iPhone when, and if it becomes available in a 4G model (for Verizon). Now im very good with Apple, and I understand that they update their iPhones in a yearly cycle (July). Now, since Apple has released the iPhone for Verizon this February, the big question is:

Do you think that in July there will be a 4G iPhone for Verizon? Thoughts/comments are appreciated :D!

2. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

Nope. I think the new phone will use the same dual band chip that's in the Verizon iPhone 4. So the AT&T version will get HSPA+ and Verizon won't get 4G until 2012.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

6. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, you have a point there, plus, it would give Verizon more time to expand their 4G network so when it becomes available to most of the country, it will be reliable and fast. Makes sense, but I would really like them to just release it in July, as seeing 4G LTE is already available in Boston

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, there won't be a 4G iPhone until 2012.

8. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

It's anyone's guess at this point, but I will not until early 2012.

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

no, tho there could be hspa+ tho which means it technically would be 4g on att even tho not lte 4g.

10. nStyle macrumors 65816

This thread is useless without a poll...

But no, not this year. I don't even see a new iPhone this summer.

11. shandyman Suspended

there will prob be a 5th gen iPhone on both networks, but 4G would be a push

12. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

D: My brain wasn't capable of making one. I couldn't figure out how to put the options lol

13. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I agree. I don't think Europe and Asia are using LTE yet, whats the point making an LTE phone that most of the world can't use that feature

14. zenio macrumors 6502

There seems to be high level of chaos & uncertainly about what Apple is doing to fend off the massive momentum Android has on their side.

15. shadrap macrumors 6502

There will be No 4G iPhone on either Verizon or AT&T this year. My guess is there will be a dual band CDMA/ GSM chip this year. Then a tri band chip in 2012 that will include LTE. I do not believe Apple will worry with HSPA+

16. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

The thing is. EVEN if there is a new iPhone for Verizon this summer, what's the point in waiting if it isn't going to be able to utilize LTE? So what if it is a dual band- you're still on one carrier. So maybe you get a little speed bump but or some upgrades, still no voice/data or faster speeds, which is one of the main, if not THE main beefs that people have.

If you want the phone get it now. If they come out with an LTE version in the summer, sell the iPhone 4 and get the new one. If they don't, enjoy your iPhone 4 and sit tight until they do.

Personally, I don't see a new Verizon version of the phone until Feb. Maybe then we'll see LTE. THEN, a dual band, LTE iPhone with simultaneous data/voice and great voice call reliability? I think Verizon has actually positioned itself relly, really well with this move.

I have no carrier loyalty in all honesty. VZW just works better where I am. I was an AT&T customer for many years and switched to Verizon for that reason. I'm just saying that I think Verizon is poised to dominate within the next 18-24 months.

17. Geffen macrumors 6502

I doubt they'll be a 4G iphone this year. my guess is we'll see a refresh of the iphone 4.