So who uses a bumper and dosent have scratches?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ozreth, Apr 9, 2011.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Seems like most people, including myself, end up with scratched up metal bands after using the bumper for a few months. Who has had a good experience with the apple bumpers?

2. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

i would suggest getting that clear (or otherwise) tape that covers the band first. shouldn't increase the size perceptibly.

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Wish I would've. Unfortunately its scratched to hell now, no point in trying to protect it ha. Im going to look into getting the band replaced though. Anybody know what that may cost me?

4. Brutos macrumors newbie

I've had a bumper since launch, not a mark on my phone. But i do take the bumper off once a week and give it a clean.

5. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Had mine on since day one, no marks, scratches or blemishes.....it helps to take it off once a week and clean around and inside it.............

6. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

You should try the luckylabs spectra in silver, looks very similar to the naked aluminum. There is a large thread here on Macruroms in the acessories section with lots of pics.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mine was I took it in store and got it swapped!

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you get the band replaced yourself, it's going to cost you. You basically have to take the whole phone apart to do it.

9. indianavtx macrumors member

Just use the damn thing. It's a phone, not the freakin Mona Lisa. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

10. Hustler1337 macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

If you've spent a lot of hard earned money on the phone, then why wouldn't you care about scratching it up?

As for the question, I have been using a cheap eBay knockoff of the apple bumper for the last 3 months and have had no scratches. Before that I've een using the sgp neo hybrid ex and the griffin reveal and regularly wipe the phone with a microfiber cloth.

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I can't find any scratches on mine and I've had it since launch. I do try to take good care of it, although I have dropped it a couple times. The bumper does a surprisingly good job for being such a simple, small case.

12. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

13. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

I have had the same bumper on my phone since launch and I love it. My band is indeed scratched to hell, but I honestly don't care. The bumper has protected the phone from shattering numerous times (until this week, when the back did shatter) and looks/feels great.

My girlfriend's little brother is not like me, however, and the scratches do bother him to no end. He brought the phone to Apple and got his "first and only freebie". They replaced the phone for him for free. I would never do that myself because 1) they give you a "refurbished" phone and 2) the phone I have now is my baby. I waited 14 hours for it on launch. I'd rather not replace it, even if they do offer me a brand new phone.

14. Fugue macrumors 6502

I have been using a black bumper for about 2 months now and not a scratch. I take it off and run my finger through it maybe twice a month.

I live the grip it provides at the relatively low cost in added weight.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is not a big deal to me either.

16. xMClass macrumors 6502

Used the bumper for a few months, it did leave some marks. Now I'm using the phone naked.

17. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I skipped the whole bumper thing and instead got 2 incase cases. About a month after I took it off and never out on a case since :) and surprisingly my phone is scratch-free. I guess I don't have butterfingers like some people and have yet to drop it once. I say people should just say screw cases and go naked. Cases end up scratching your phone anyway. So you might as well enjoy it

18. ajax43 macrumors regular

Me too. Got it last August and it looks like it came out of the box this morning.

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

I bought a bumper on launch and used it for two months until my replacement case came thru the mail. It left black stains, but no scratches. Cleaned it and the steel band looked flawless again. My biggest beef with the bumper was how uncomfortable it was to hold. The rear side edges would dig into my palm. And I wanted the back glass to be fingerprint-free. My current case is good enough to solve both issues.

20. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

An iPhone doesn't cost that much.. Especially on a contract. You'll be getting a new one in a year or two.. so why spend time caring about what happens to the device. You need to learn how to enjoy what you have, and not worry about a little scratch that may occur.

21. McRCN macrumors regular

No connection problems, no bumper, and no scratches with my iPhone. My son has all 3 with his, go figure...

22. TEHi macrumors regular

No problem with the impact band so far. But it is so bulky that I stopped using it and switched back to switcheasy TRIM. best iphone 4 case out there, and it has protected my phone from few 5 ft drops

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I don't have the bumper on my phone now, but I did have it on for about 4 months. When I took it off, there wasn't a scratch on the metal band. Like some of the other posters, I took it off 1-2 times/week to clean it.

24. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

I just used tape along the whole side before i put the case on

25. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007

x2. I liked the feel of the bumper, but now have gotten used to going naked and wouldn't go back.