so, who uses there rMBP on their Lap.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RussellJones, Oct 14, 2012.

1. RussellJones macrumors member

Took my rmbp in yesterday because it was squeaking and creaking like mad whenever I used it on my lap, and the manager told me i should and its only for desk use. I couldnt really believe this i am being and idiot and he is right, or is he the fool

2. Hrim macrumors member

Honestly?

If you want to use it under the shower, wrapped in a plastic bag, while being upside down, who cares? What's important is to understand that you own the thing and that you can do whatever the hell you want with it.

I use mine on my laps and the sun's still shining in the sky, so no issues.

3. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

I don't have a rMBP yet ( waiting for the 13" model to pull the trigger ), but I will for sure be using it 99% of the time on my lap ( like all the notebooks I ever had )... for me, the most comfortable way of working with a notebook is on my lap while sitting / laying on a couch or in bed. If it squeaks, then I'll keep on returning it until I get a model that doesn't squeak!

PS: Try to localize the squeaks... maybe it's just some loose screw that you can "fix" yourself ( by tightening it a bit ). A friend has a rMBP and he has complained that it squeaks when he puts some pressure on the palm-rest area... but another friend with a rMBP doesn't have the same issue ( his doesn't squeak at all ).

4. NZPilgrim macrumors newbie

I use my retina on my lap all the time and initially it did exactly the same as yours. Put my hand on the palm rest, creak. Reposition the machine by putting my hands under it, creak. Almost every time I touched it it would creak.

After reading a number of threads about the problem I ended up buying a toolkit with the correct pentalobe screwdriver in it. Unscrewed all of the screws in the bottom plate, lifted it off, reseated it and put all the screws back in. Hasn't creaked since and I still use it on my lap all the time.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use the laptop on my lap often, I usually have something underneath it to protect my legs though

6. RussellJones thread starter macrumors member

I did, it was in the middle of the bottom plate, and yes, i used mine laid on the bed and he stated i shouldnt do this and said i should only use on the desk, to which i replied i would have bought an iMac to do that

7. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I use my rMBP on my lap about 50% of the time and have never had any problems.

8. RussellJones thread starter macrumors member

same, the man said it was a notebook not a laptop, i was in a bit of shock, how can they be designed not to be used on your lap

9. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

The manager's comment is an absolutely asinine one.

10. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

Tell him to **** off and speak to Senior Manager or a Store Leader.

All that is required is for some screws to be loosened and retightened (not too loose and not too tight).

11. Inside_line macrumors regular

Personally, I do not put laptops on my lap unless the wireless is turned off. There are documented biological effects of RF on the brain, testes, and countless animal studies. I also had one of the problematic sony batteries in a MBP 1,1 which exploded on my desk. If you'd like, I can send you the pictures of the burn marks on the desk. There are valid reasons why you are being told to put it on a desk. That said, the risks are likely low, but still present.

12. RealEyes macrumors regular

Buy the screwdriver set from iFixit, take off the bottom plate, carefully put it back on. It's fixed.

13. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

We're not suppose to eat or drink in our cars but we do it anyways :rolleyes: