So who was going to buy a Mac in June but will now wait for Leopard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CrackedButter, Apr 13, 2007.

  1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

    CrackedButter

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Location:
    51st State of America
    #1
    What did you want to buy in June that you will wait for till October? I was ready to buy a 17"MBP with all the trimmings but now will wait till October, maybe even January, it'll be MW08 already!

    If any newbies come here now what is the advice? Still wait for Leopard or buy it now? Before yesterday we were telling them to wait till May or June before plunking down cash on a new machine so that it would include Leopard. Now what you say to them?

    I'm happy to wait because I have a holiday to Japan to pay for. What about everybody else.
     
  2. Saxking20 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2005
    Location:
    Central Florida-Hurricane Epicenter
    #2
    I'll wait. I was planning on a July purchase of an iMac but will wait now. At least it will be in time for a tax deduction in '07!
     
  3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

    CrackedButter

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Location:
    51st State of America
    #3
    That's the spirit soldier!
     
  4. demuire macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2007
    Location:
    Ipswich, QLD Australia
    #4
    I'll wait too. I've waited this long, I might as well keep waiting. I'm rather disappointed, but it's not the end of the world...
     
  5. Bern macrumors 68000

    Bern

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #5
    I'm not waiting, I have half my design software on my XP partition on a 1st generation MB CD and it's driving me nuts.

    It's too far away for me. Next month I'm getting a MBP and new design apps. :D
     
  6. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

    Jarcrew

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2007
    Location:
    Cardiff, Wales
    #6
    It's a bit far off for me. I've waited almost a year now, if you think I'm waiting another six months you're off your trolley.

    Whatever's updated first, the MacBook or the MacBook Pro, that'll be the one I get.
     
  7. zign macrumors 6502

    zign

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #7
    Do you ever get tired of waiting?!!!! I've never regretted a purchase, because I know that at a time it was the best I could get. What's the point of waiting?! Plus, Mac OS is a relatively cheap peace of software. I would never wait for 6 months because of $130. I would prefer to use an up to date hardware with current software and get 10.5 when it comes out (Mac OS is worth a hardly good night out in terms of finances).

    Another one of those "waiting forever" threads....
     
  8. belovedmonster macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 11, 2005
    #8
    Im waiting till October. Maybe even January. But that is because my current system meets my needs OK.
     
  9. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    #9
    You guys who are still waiting might as well wait forever.

    The hardware (which is really what's important) has only recently been renewed with faster core 2 duo chips.

    Come October, if and when Leopard comes out, there will be something else to wait for.
     
  10. zign macrumors 6502

    zign

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #10
    Yes! Penryn, Nehalem and so on... This will never stop. Some of these people will probably end up buying CoreDuos blaming the small speed increase :)

    Let them wait, while we are being productive :)
     
  11. Martin C macrumors 6502a

    Martin C

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2006
    Location:
    New York City
    #11
    I'm now waiting until October to buy a MBP. By that time, they surely should have had some sort of refresh and paired with the Q3 release of Penryn. ;)
     
  12. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

    CrackedButter

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Location:
    51st State of America
    #12
    I don't think so, I personally want a mac as soon as Leopard is included with the Macs, regardless of whether they are new or not. This is the same as what some other people have said. I'm on a 1.5Ghz 12" G4 at the moment with a screen that doesn't receive a signal and a duff optical drive so anything that comes out with Leopard is fine by me.

    The issue is Leopard and iLife, not the hardware, I'm not paying another 100 quid after buying a machine to get the next update, I know I don't have to but I never bought Tiger as it is.

    My main priority is to get a bigger screen as an all in one laptop and get rid my half useful PB and monitor combo.

    I accept there will always be something faster and newer along the way, but while I was going to buy in June, I can wait till October, it's made me realise I can wait because I don't need to upgrade yet. Summer break for my course is near and after May I won't really need this machine again until October. I would like to upgrade but I think its pointless now, though I would like to.

    Plus there is my holiday to pay off as well.
     
  13. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #13
    I'll be waiting. I do want to buy a MBP but my PC meets my needs at the moment.

    I am not only waiting for Leopard but for further hardware upgrades to the MBP's. Waiting until October will also give me time to save!!!
     
  14. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

    Manic Mouse

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2006
    #14
    I was going to buy one....

    And I still am. Leopard, iLife etc would have been nice. However the hardware upgrades in Santa Rosa are more important for me since I need to play WoW on my MacBook and the GMA3000 looks to be a significant upgrade from the GMA950.

    I'm still looking forward to getting my first Mac, Tiger is a nice OS even compared to the "newer" Vista.

    I was going to buy the new iWork with my Mac.
     
  15. demuire macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2007
    Location:
    Ipswich, QLD Australia
    #15
    I'm waiting not really for Leopard (I rather like Tiger as it is, but then again I don't know what Leopard has to offer...), but rather for an update of the Macbook. More RAM, more HDD as standard would be nice - if SR comes along too that'd be a double bonus.

    I'm on a PC at the moment, and while it's getting a bit old and slow, it does everything I need it to at the moment. Current line of Macbooks I think are powerful enough for me, except I'd like more RAM (2GB) and a bigger HDD (100GB min). I can option a Macbook up to this spec, but if new ones with potentially these as standard are around the corner, why not wait?
     
  16. djellison macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Pasadena CA
    #16
    I will be waiting - it's not Leopard I need - but animation within the next version of Keynote, which will probably use Core Animation, which needs Leopard. Until then, tragic though it is, Powerpoint and XP do the job I need that currently, Keynote can not.

    Doug
     
  17. wordmunger macrumors 603

    wordmunger

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #17
    I was thinking I'd probably get a new computer in late summer / early fall. Is it worth it to now wait until mid - late fall? Maybe. It really depends on my kids: my son is struggling with Garageband on a cube and I'd like to have him inherit my intel iMac. My iMac is fine for my needs right now, but it'd be a shame to buy a new computer and not have it be much of an upgrade...
     
  18. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #18
    All I wanted is a MBP with an improved screen. With no Leopard forthcoming I guess the odds of getting a new screen just went down.
     
  19. brutusvimes macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2007
    #19
    Not me. I'm going on a trip to China in mid-July and wanted to take a Macbook with me, preferably one with Leopard on it. Since that isn't happening but the trip is still coming, I'm pretty much forced to upgrade later on. :(

    What other improvements to the Macbook series can we expect soon-ish?
     
  20. mothergoose45 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2006
    #20
    My self, this doesnt really matter. I am waiting until a new IMac design is released. Now I might be waiting until next year for a 24" Imac. I have been waiting since December anyway. My dell still works so oh well. I guess the gift card will be in the safe for months to come.
     
  21. mags631 Guest

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2007
    #21
    Too Many Questions

    I'm going to get a new mac in July, unless I hear something that I can trust that indicates that new macs are coming soon thereafter.

    Meanwhile, it gives me time to debate with myself: iMac 24" or MacPro, iMac 24" or MacPro, -- what if the MacMinis are updated to allow for >2GB and faster video -- argh.
     
  22. Keebler macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Location:
    Canada
    #22
    i was waiting, but i'm buying very soon...like within a week or 2.
     
  23. princealfie macrumors 68030

    princealfie

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2006
    Location:
    Salt Lake City UT
    #23
    Hahaha, I bought my macbook early this year and who knows, I may buy a MBP next year whenever I get the chance :D
     
  24. lovemymac4sure macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #24
    I will probably wait....I rather be up to date with all the new upgrades than be wishing I was...October...it better be October!
     
  25. Veracon macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2007
    #25
    However hypocritical that may sound, I'm actually hesitant to at all get a Mac now. Partly because I really wanted Leopard (but I need to buy a laptop in July at worst) and I don't want to shell out $180 to upgrade it when it does come out, but even more so because I'm starting to lose faith in Apple. Having seen two delays of this OS, I'm beginning to think they ARE neglecting the Mac side of their products a bit...
     

Share This Page