So who's bought Portal 2?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MasterHowl, Apr 15, 2011.

1. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I've been looking forward to this for years. Just pre-loading it now woo!

Only thing is... Steam for Mac is still buggy as hell, and crashes all the time for no reason. Anyone else getting problems like this?

2. mehanika, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  3. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Nice :) I always buy my games through Steam... even though they cost more, I like them all to be in "once place" if you know what I mean

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm trying to buy it BUT Steam is being stupid as usual so its not sending me this email I need to validate my account.

I just want to have fun...with science!

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Bought it from Steam for NZ$25 less than a retail box. Yes, Steam is still buggy :(

I found that it helps to check that your country is set correctly in the Steam preferences. It defaulted to a foreign country for me (not the US) and changing it to NZ seems to have improved download speeds and reliability.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I couldn't play Portal 1. Way too confusing for my puny little brain.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Bought it and certainly looking forward to it.

And for all you guys saying Steam for Mac is still buggy, so is the Windows version and that has been out since 04. I'm afraid this is as good as it will ever get.

8. joeyboyyy91 macrumors member

Pre ordered on steam, can't wait, gonna be amazing!

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

WOOO!!! Finally after 9430803480423 tries Steam sent me my confirmation email, then of course as always Chase flags my credit card since I made a purchase so I called them and got in unflagged and got Portal 2 purchased!

Now I'm going to practice "speedy thing go in, speedy thing come out" while I think about Portal 2 ;).......:eek:

10. Cougarcat, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

Cougarcat macrumors 604

As much as I love Portal, I'm holding off for now. Way too many games to play, and Valve has sales all the time.

Edit: Gotta eat my words. $35 at Amazon, day of release delivery included with Amazon prime. Couldn't pass that up.

11. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

same boat for me.

too many games and too little time.

but i will obtain portal 2...

12. allfunandgames macrumors member

Won a copy on the Steam4Mac website and have already pre-loaded it. Can't wait, less than 80 hours to go.

Even though my iMac is old and I barely meet the minimum requirements, all the other Valve games have worked really well so am looking forward to playing this. 2 player Co-op!

13. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I think I'm going to wait for half-life epsiode 3 and some sort of portal2 bundle.
    plus I'll be too busy to play it now any ways :(.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not me just yet. I love Valve games and I really like using Steam (280 games and counting :D), but Portal 2 is just a bit above my system specs. By the time I have a better computer it'd probably be 50p in one of those mad sales.

Have fun all :D.

But what worries me about Portal 2, is that it had better be a huge improvement over the first. I hope it's much more than training rooms and longer than 3 hours. Of course it will be... but I just hope they really push the envelope and that it's not a small-leap sequel like L4D2 was. All my journalist buddies seem to love it.

15. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My PS3 is jailbroken, thus I won't sign in to PSN.

Can anyone let me know if you have to sign in to PSN to register your PS3 copy of Portal 2 to get the free steam copy?

If not, I'll just buy it on Steam and not get the PS3 one.

17. sundayx macrumors member

Purchased and pre-loaded through Steam. Couldn't be bothered to get the PS3 version (the hassle, the wait, and I won't be playing much on console anyways).

18. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Mine's pre-loaded and ready to play :) Should be awesome.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought... bugger it! And it was bought.

One of my concerns was how it would run on my iMac (under Windows XP). Turns out quite well! 1280*720, everything set to medium, 40-60fps! I thought I'd have to play this on my desktop PC. I threw everything up to max (at 720) and it ran at 20-40fps so not a huge drop. Valve really do make the best engines.

Quite a good game so far! Not wowwing me yet but I bought it mostly to find out the rest of the story and to play co-op.

20. inket macrumors regular

inket

@Dagless

Which graphics card do you have in your iMac ?

21. tomwalters5678 macrumors newbie

I did, but no playing yet :(

Yeah I bought it a couple of hours ago, but I've still not played - the menu simply shows "NO STEAM" and "QUIT" when I open. Trying all solutions on forums, but there is no official help for the error. Has anyone else had this?

I've contacted Steam but I can't see them getting back to me any time soon as it's email support, they could really do with a number. Does anyone have a solution to this? (Yes I've restarted/deleted ClientRegistry.blob etc.)

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I just finished it a few hours ago. It took a little over 9 hours (but it only felt like 2!) Its a fantastic game! I adore it.

Also make sure not to look at the achievement lists before you play since the names of a few have the potential to ruin things.

23. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

If it's not too late, yeah looks like it's confirmed you have to have shown you played Portal 2 on PS3 before they'll let you activate the steam copy. Meaning you tied a PSN ID to a steam ID and then register the code to that Steam ID. It's a different type of code than a retail Portal 2 mac/pc code.

But yeah I got Portal 2, got the two pack, so $40 a piece no tax, me and my bro.