So... Who's used the most data in the first month?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajthomason, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ajthomason macrumors 6502

This is a pretty pointless thread - but I'm just interested to find out who has used the most data in the past month.

No photoshopping allowed, but please post your usage screenshots.

I'm down at a rather pathetic 6MB because I restored my phone... So I won't even bother to post a screenshot.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

6MB!!!!! DANG..i guess its cuz im on wi-fi always..(im on the iPhone EDGE ONLY), but i got it this month as my cuz got the 3G...he gave me his EDGE...so i used

SENT: 36.0KB

Recieved: 508KB

thats about .5MB?

3. ajthomason thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow! I didn't lose my own competition! I was up to about 250MB before I restored it - mostly because I was away from home for a couple of weeks.

4. aljlin macrumors regular

I'm at 265 mb sent and 1.7 GB received... at work i only use edge/3g so ... that's probably why it's so high... :eek:

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So I'm kind of curious to see how y'all compare to iPhone EDGE users, and whether your usage is any higher than ours based on the logic that HSPA is faster than EDGE and so you ought to be using more data in more situations because it just works better than it does for us.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Mine is a little more than i had on EDGE, but keep in mind i'm not in school yet, which is where i'll probably round in around 3GB a month.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So is it a change in 2.0 (I just upgraded) that the usage screen reflects cellular data services only and not combined usage? My iPhone is at 228MB sent and 2.5GB received, but that I guess is lifetime (since I just updated to 2.0 yesterday, I don't think I received two gigs on EDGE since yesterday! So it must have gotten restored when I restored from backup).

8. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Activated my first iPhone the 30th. Most work I do is on wifi.

Attached Files:

9. rolex54 macrumors 6502

heres mine, it wont be a full month till the 15th though

[​IMG]

10. DJ88 macrumors regular

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

well, when im in school...ill prob do 1GB a month...but who gives..i got unlimited for 20$ a month(family plan) includin 200 txts...

12. ajthomason thread starter macrumors 6502

Now, if only we had some data for blackberrys (-ies?), we could see just how much friendlier browsing is (or just how people like to test the 'unlimited' data the iPhone users have).

I'd also like to see how UK users compare to you guys in the US. Maybe we'll have to wait until tomorrow as it's almost midnight.

13. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

Ugg...now I'm afraid.

My plan caps at 1.5GB/month...after that I pay a lot per MB :(

14. ajthomason thread starter macrumors 6502

3G or original? If 3G, please post a screenshot!

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I checked this out when I first switched from my 8700g to my iPhone. It was decidedly more on the iPhone, but perhaps not astronomically more. One thing that increases the BB data usage somewhat is that it downloads every e-mail, or at least the first fairly sizable chunk of every e-mail. So if you get lots of e-mail and don't necessarily read every message, that really tips the differential back towards the BB.

That being said, even taking into account that I did lots of over-the-air installs and downloading ringtones and stuff like that, I think my "high" Blackberry usage was still only like 80-100MB in a month, vs. much more on my iPhone (the 2.5GB I cited would be since the end of March, so just a hair over 4 months, which means that I'm using 500-700MB/mo, or something like 6-7 times as much data).

There's a fair amount of web browsing there, but I use for instance Google maps tons more than I expected to.

And that's on EDGE!

16. goodcow macrumors 6502a

From my AT&T account, billing cycle 7/14 - 8/14:

Internet/MEdia Net
    UNLIMITED
    Used 2953.52MB of Unlimited

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

18. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

19. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

can't get a screencap because I reset the counter, but I used somewhere around 3GB (listening to streaming radio, before I realized my media server was restreaming a 32k stream at 96k)

20. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

you should probably quit using photoshop;)

21. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

you think my screenshot was fake?

22. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

7.1 MB sent : 98.2 MB Received. It seems kind of high since I have WiFi at home and at work.

23. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

i coulda done better, but i was aiming for speed ;)

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm guessing it was a mistake quote and it was referencing the next post by Benflick, which is not only clearly a photoshop job but one worthy of being highlighted on "You Suck at Photoshop." ;)