So whose done a 180 on the new macbook/pro's ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grooveattack, Nov 28, 2008.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

So when they came out allot of people had allot of problems with them (firewire, glossy screen etc.)
    But have any of you come round to thinking they are much better than first perceived? I know i have, i did not think much of them until i spent some time with one. Oh my god, they are very nice and i take back anything bad i said about them. So they have a few niggles but what ever they lack they make back in quality, looks, specs (they are good) etc.
    any thoughts?

2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

This is the case with almost every Apple product. Look at the infamous iPod thread when it was first released. A lot of people said it was a horrible idea. Look at where we are today.

3. rumourguy macrumors member

sold mine immediately and picked up the high end early 08 model.

4. DYER macrumors 6502

OP i couldnt agree more i was worried at first and I needed one so i bought one anyway. In the end i dont thin I made a mistake in the slightest

5. cinetic macrumors newbie

I couldn't get past the glare issue, and the 2.8 didn't feel ALL that fast, so I pocketed the difference and got a high end early 08 matte model. I like the trackpad more (quieter, and I don't have issues not finding the "clicking" part of it) plus having a matte screen is pretty sweet.

I do miss the "shiny newness" of the uni though. It looked awesome, almost so that I didn't want it to leave my desk.

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Count me in as one of those who were disappointed at first but then came around. It took awhile to get used to it, now the old model (while still really nice) does look a bit dated. There is no comparison between the new & old body cases, the new one is a work of art. In the end it was what was under the hood that was most important for me. My computers aren't ornaments, they are tools so functionality is priority...but ya the look of the thing is still important I must admit.

Face it, people resist change...its human nature. Since the MBP underwent such a radical change it was to be expected there would be loads of complaints no matter what it looked like.

7. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

I've been excited about them since they were announced. I love the chicklet keyboard, the new unibody, the glossy vibrant screen, didn't care about firewire at all and i can bet most consumers don't really know the difference on most of these things.

I came from a BlackBook, so this is perfectly at home for me with a huge power boost all around.

from chicklet to chicklet, from flimsy to solid, from glossy to glossy, from integ to discreet, from ddr2 to ddr3, etc.. just all upgrades/cross-grades all around.

8. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Nope, seeing and touching both a new mb and mbp in a store recently I'm still more than happy that I bought my oldschool 2,5 ghz mbp for a bargain. Design wise they are nice, but after more than one year with my iMac I decided to never buy a computer with the glassy-glossy screen again. It's of course a personal preference thing, but I don't like the constant reflections. It does have nothing to do with me being a graphic designer, I have my Eizo monitor for color critical work, I just don't like the reflections and sometimes get headaches when staring at the iMacs screen for a couple of hours. These screens may be fine for 2-3 hours in the evening, but not for a whole working day in front of them.

Now maybe I made it sound more of a problem than it actually is... if it was I would sell the iMac but overall I'm still happy with the machine. Sometimes it's difficult to express ones thoughts in a non-native language. :eek:

9. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

I was disappointed with the aesthetics and the glossy screen when they were announced. However, I ordered the MBP as I genuinely needed to replace my PowerBook and knew I'd stick with a Mac. Then the notebook turned up and I absolutely love it. It's an incredible machine.

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

The trackpad is the best part of these machines. No need to click. Tapping does it all.

11. bjorn989 macrumors member

I have had the exact opposite reaction. When I first saw the new Macbook line I loved it and couldn't understand the criticism about glossy displays and keyboard. Now I have purchased a previous generation Macbook Pro, I can understand the concerns with the display and I now hate the glossy glass of the Macbook/Pro/iMac. I love the feel of the classic Macbook Pro keyboard, but I would love the unibody construction and the user replaceable hard drive. I just think that the Glossy is now a deal breaker for me.

Just my thoughts I guess.

12. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

+1, I was never a fan of tap-to-click tracking because I had to have that clicking feel, but since the new trackpad is so loud, I have changed my tune and become very used to not having that tactile click.