Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
As the capability of the iPad improved over the years, a lot of folks find they don’t need to carry around a full laptop to be productive while mobile. For my purposes, I can use the iPad effectively and productively for:
  • Email/Messaging
  • Calendar/Contacts
  • Note taking, scanning documents, and occasional sketches using Notes app
  • Reading Books and PDFs
  • Annotating documents and PDFs
  • Creating short/simple documents, presentations, and spreadsheets
  • Web research
  • Organizing, editing, and marking up photos
  • Document management using new Files app
I have an iPad 2017, and it does not work with an Apple Pencil. I use a less expensive Androit Dash 3, which is fine for markups, annotations and simple sketches......if I really wanted to do some drawing, I would upgrade to the 2018 iPad with Apple Pencil.

Right now, my 2014 MBA is docked to monitor with BT keyboard and mouse. I am basically just using it as a desktop computer, which is fine. The iPad covers my mobile computing needs, and the desktop is for heavier lifting at my home office. Frankly, I rarely use the desktop these days.

For the most part, I use my iPad without a physical keyboard. My theory is that if I really need a physical keyboard all of the time, I should just use a laptop. My desktop keyboard is the Bluetooth Logitech 380K with multi-device capability. So, on the rare occasion when I do need to do significant typing away from my office, I just throw this keyboard into my backpack along with the iPad.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
My iPads are WiFi only. Obviously the smoothness and stability of the connection depend upon the quality of the network connection and the horsepower of the system connecting to. It's not possible to play action games with any remote connection, but I have been able to do graphic work that required delicate actions quite well.
Based on your experience with Jump Desktop and that X1 mouse, would you say programming/vm work would be comfortable on a 12.9” Pro with Jump Desktop? If this experience can be seamless enough I could go iPad only for University. That fact that you’ve managed precise graphical work inspires a lot of confidence.

Signum17

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Berkeley, California
I like the idea of getting the less expensive one. Laptop theft is somewhat rampant and losing something less costly is not a big hit to the gut. Kindle reading while on the go is a good thing. I'll wait to see if Apple shows up with anything new.

Reactions: Dekema2

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
This is a legit question. It’s good to (re)evaluate the things in our lives.
As you can see from this thread there are use cases in which neither a phone nor a laptop are as practical or ideal as a tablet. In my case, I use a 12.9 iPP mainly for drawing, reading and marking up PDFs, and presenting images—all of these are work related tasks. And I use an iPad mini mainly for ereading and casual computing while reclining or lying down. The unique qualities of both devices make them indispensable in accomplishing my tasks, though I might be able to do without the mini if I had a phablet phone. But I cannot tolerate large phones.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
My Ipads / iPhones etc etc with only one exception ( ipad mk 1 w/ dead battery - my fault ) have been much MUCH more reliable than my macs..!!!

Had 2 mini's in a row pack up , a tricked out 2011 and tricked out 2014 - basically £3k down the swannee... not impressed with those things at all

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
Email, Safari, Document Management, FaceTime, iMessage, Server Management, Word, Excel, OneNote, Downloading Torrents, Smart Home Management, Netflix, PlayStation Vue, Hulu, Plex, Sports, Reddit, Twitter, News, Games, and Music. This is what I mostly use my iPad for, but new things always come up. I like the larger screen. It’s my only other computer besides my iPhone for work and personal use.
You can't download torrents to an iPad.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
You can't download torrents to an iPad.

Maybe not with a freely available app on the App Store but I’ve seen posts on YouTube and online regarding sideloaded applications to assist in doing so. I’m guessing that’s what the poster meant when they posted that they’re doing it. I haven’t tried to do so myself though.

Reactions: Sensamic

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Phone screens are too small. Laptops are too big for couch/toilet. iPads are a good size.

I second this.

Also, you can write on an iPad like a notebook. Can’t do that on a MacBook. I love handwriting notes and I’ve gone completely digital since the iPad Pro. Now all iPads can do it.

Also, reading books. I find my iPhone X too small to read for more than 15 minutes. And there’s no way I’m reading a book on my 13” MacBook Pro.

Last edited:

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
Good question. And every reason one would do such a thing seems to have been covered in this thread. Nonetheless, I’ll weigh in;).

I didn’t buy an iPad until the second or third generation. It seemed like a neat gadget, but I had a Mac laptop and an iPhone, and felt my needs were met.

Not sure if there was a defining moment that tipped me into buying my first one, but I eventually did, and between myself and my family, have bought half a dozen over the years.

Eventually, the iPad obviated my need for a laptop. To be clear, I use a keyboard case (Belkin) and would not consider an iPad without one.

So last month I sold my 2014 MBP, and am trying to decide between upgrading my iPad Air 2, or my 2010 i7 iMac next. And if the iPad, which one? Pro, large or small, or 2018 w/pencil? Cellular or wifi?
So many questions.

I use the iPhone for taking photos, texting, occasionally checking email, navigation while driving, and light use of the web, banking, and such. Ok, and phone calls.

Except for phone calls, taking photos, and navigation, plus other things that sometimes lend themselves to doing on a small screen, I much prefer the iPad. It hits the sweet spots of function and portability between the phone and desktop computer. For me. Having one has made my life a bit simpler. One less device (a laptop) to deal with.

Last edited:

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
New York
I bought the original air. Since I got it I've used it to watch movies, listen to music, read books, take notes in class, browse the web. It was my go to device until I got my iPhone 7. Now, it's pretty much relegated to movies for the kids on long car rides. However, it is pretty awesome for that. They don't know how good they have it....

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Why buy an iPad? Reading books for hours and hours (or even news) is so much more pleasant than on an iPhone. Battery lasts forever. Watching youtube videos/news videos on iPad is just a no brainer vs iPhone 8+ even.

I use my iPad as my laptop replacement and find it is my primary computing device. I have it next to my work computer to iMessage my wife when she wants to talk to me throughout the day. I do my email on it, news consumption, macrumors reading/posting... I use it with an external Bluetooth keyboard and journal via Day One on my iPad. iCloud photos syncs my photos from my phone to my iPad so I can put them in my journal entries if I so want.

My airpods seamlessly switch from phone to iPad so I can listen to music via iPad and not drain my phone throughout the day. I take calls/make calls via iPad as well via my airpods. Love listening to lectures on my airpods, typing notes via Bluetooth keyboard, on my iPad --- or hand writing them with the Apple Pencil.

Free thinking via Apple Pencil on the iPad 2018 is just … so much more amazing than I thought it would be. I use Apple Notes and Good Notes 4.

Travel? Yeah, no laptop is going to fit in front of you unless you're flying first class. iPad? No problem.

I've used iPads since the iPad 3 … I've gone a year without using one and always find myself coming back - even though I've owned the 6+, 6s+, and 8+ phones.
[doublepost=1529608899][/doublepost]
My desktop keyboard is the Bluetooth Logitech 380K with multi-device capability. So, on the rare occasion when I do need to do significant typing away from my office, I just throw this keyboard into my backpack along with the iPad.

Those multi-device Logitech Bluetooth keyboards... AMAZING. Love them. Got them at home and at work. :)

Reactions: Matz

Springman

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro that I use at work as my primary machine (replaced the fans a few months ago and still going strong) with a docking station and Thunderbolt display but also have a 10.5 iPad pro with the keyboard that I use when I go to meetings. I find that I can do just about everything I can do with my MacBook and it's a light a feather and easy to tote around. I don't see ever not having a MacBook Pro, but I use my iPad every day and don't know what I do without it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Why buy an iPad? Reading books for hours and hours (or even news) is so much more pleasant than on an iPhone. Battery lasts forever. Watching youtube videos/news videos on iPad is just a no brainer vs iPhone 8+ even.
Yep, pretty much. Well, not quite Kindle-level forever but really good for an LCD-based device (and unlike the Kindle, the iPad works excellently for comics and PDF). Even the the iPhone Plus doesn't last anywhere near as long as my iPad does when it comes to battery life.

[doublepost=1529608899][/doublepost]

Those multi-device Logitech Bluetooth keyboards... AMAZING. Love them. Got them at home and at work. :)
I have the Logitech K780 at work. The num pad is extremely useful to me. The base is weighed down so you can use the built-in stand even for the heavier Pro 12.9 without fear of toppling. Bonus, with a manila folder the stand works great as document holder, too. I actually use the K780 for majority of desktop usage unless I'm in need of heavy duty keyboarding with shortcuts. :D

I've been planning on getting a K380 for home and mobile use but to be perfectly honest, the onscreen keyboard works fine for me in pretty much all scenarios where I'm away from a desk. I actually prefer the OSK to physical keyboard for couch/bedtime surfing, etc. I've tried both ASK and my brother's K380 but I always ended up switching back to OSK.

Last edited:

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Owning an iPad for the last 6 years or so, one thing that I have realized even if not for anything else, but it could be fantastic device to view Photos, Observe Pictures, Compare two pictures it could be a great deal handy to an artist who has to go back to pictures every now and again ! Whenever I want to buy something, I make it a Point to watch the item closely on my iPad Screen Display. It gives me a very clear view, detailed, and in-depth angle. Just love watching images on the iPad ! And Comparing them !

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Because the ipad pro is the only Apple portable with a retina display and a keyboard that works.

Well, there have been a good bunch of posts in the accessories forum about issues with that keyboard, too. Just saying. ;)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I second this.

Also, you can write on an iPad like a notebook. Can’t do that on a MacBook. I love handwriting notes and I’ve gone completely digital since the iPad Pro. Now all iPads can do it.

Also, reading books. I find my iPhone X too small to read for more than 15 minutes. And there’s no way I’m reading a book on my 13” MacBook Pro.
The iPad mini can’t.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I use my iPad for movies, ebooks, quick documented,emails and when I’m cooking in the kitchen. My iPhone is too small for those things I’ve mentioned.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Well, there have been a good bunch of posts in the accessories forum about issues with that keyboard, too. Just saying. ;)

Kind of a false equivalence. There is a big difference between walking into an Apple store and getting a replacement Smart Keyboard on warrantee and sending your notebook out for a couple of weeks to have the entire lower case replaced for $700.

Also, there are lots of third party keyboard alternatives for the iPad, and you can use an iPad without a physical keyboard. A MacBook is basically useless without a functional keyboard.

Reactions: ssledoux

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Kind of a false equivalence. There is a big difference between walking into an Apple store and getting a replacement Smart Keyboard on warrantee and sending your notebook out for a couple of weeks to have the entire lower case replaced for $700.

Also, there are lots of third party keyboard alternatives for the iPad, and you can use an iPad without a physical keyboard. A MacBook is basically useless without a functional keyboard.

All fair points. I simply wanted to point out that the user feedback shows that it’s far from a perfect accessory.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

You can use a Bluetooth keyboard with a Mac. It’s cumbersome but you can connect a Bluetooth keyboard if the keyboard on your MacBook stops working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.