So why do the dongles just MIRROR video?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nicky G, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Nicky G macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

Who else noticed in the dongle specs that both the VGA and HDMI both appear to only mirror the built-in screen at up to 1080p? But, clearly the laptop specs indicate much higher resolutions for true second displays are supported, via Displayport?

Question -- does perhaps the USB-C/USB 3.1 Gen1 port not offer enough bandwidth to support both USB for data and the native Displayport signal's resolution at once, plus power?

Thoughts?

My dream -- a dongle that has power and USB plus the full Displayport out. If that is possible with this machine, honestly I don't see what all the fuss is about in terms of lack of ports.

If that's not possible? Obviously less ideal (but I'll still get one).

If it does end up being a limit to USB 3.1 Gen1's 5Gbps bandwidth -- this ought to be solved by the second release of this machine, when USB 3.1 Gen2 is offered with twice the bandwidth. (At which point I'll sell my Rev 1 rMB, hah!)

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

You know you got yourself one weird laptop when your customers have dreams about the perfect dongle.

3. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Well it says they support 4k on apples site. You can't mirror that. Guess we have to wait. They need to open up pre orders soon.

4. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

They don't say at what refresh rate 4k is supported, and so far we have yet to see a 4k-capable rMB dongle.. Also, Intel's spec sheet for the Core M says that while the processor's GPU can handle 4k output, using active cooling is recommended (ie. a fan to dissipate heat and prevent crashes/shutdowns).

5. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I guess so. But wouldn't it suck if Apple releases a uSB 4k monitor and this new MacBook can't run it.