So why is HP so not "on the ball"?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by KingCrimson, Apr 10, 2011.

1. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

I'd expect them as the "premium" PC provider to have an equivalent to Apple's Magic Trackpad, but no. Nothing.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Why would HP design one of those? They really haven't been pushing mutli-touch. Perhaps its would work well with HP adding WebOS to its PCs next year(by way of an in browser install so to speak I have heard). But I wouldn't expect HP to create the exact same product that only Apple really has of major PC makers.

Also I would be quick to question HP as an premium PC maker, they have a lot of low end devices.(that's not bad, it just makes they not "premium" which is highly valued in some markets like big businesses, universities, people who don't do much computing, etc)

3. KingCrimson thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh so it's ok for a supposedly world-class PC-maker to not have a great multi-touch trackpad? Doesn't jive, unless Apple holds certain patents that prevents it.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Meh. I have never been impressed by any PC trackpad. Apple's is successful because people love the trackpad that they have in their MBP. If you want a touch type interface, get a wacom tablet. My question is why you are chewing out HP on an Apple forum.

And as for the previous post, yes, that is perfectly fine, considering Apple basically just came up with the idea and fairly recently implemented it. Plus I'm pretty sure they've got it patented out the wazoo.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Do any of the big names have one? I've never heard of Dell, Acer, Asus or Sony(which is IMO a premium brand) trackpad similar to the magic trackpad. Have I been missing out?(I don't follow PC hardware as much I do Apple hardware)

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Can't speak to the trackpads, but...

HP began the whole idea of large touchscreen based home / kitchen multimedia computers with their TouchSmart series. DVD player, TV tuner, DVR, touch apps, etc. Now several companies sell such things. All are on top of stock Windows though.

So I've been hoping that Apple would jump into that market. (Although I suppose an iPad on a stand, although smaller and much less capable, could be thought of one.)

7. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

HP is a generic PC maker like Acer, Dell, etc. They're an also-ran that runs Windows. What can you really expect of them?

Granted, they're now betting on WebOS. We'll see how that turns out. Though I have a feeling they'll f it up somehow.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Can't you just use the Magic Trackpad on a PC?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably because most people don't care for one. I don't know too many people that actually have one.

10. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

1. HP is limited by what Windows and Synaptics (trackpad supplier) cook up for trackpad settings.

2. being the dominant supplier in industry, Synaptics doesn't have much incentive to research/update/redevelop their products to harness multitouch. Windows offer generic hardware settings for trackpads as they expect the hardware manufacturer to develop their customized version... like graphics card.

3. HP could develop their own software settings on top of what Windows and Synaptics provides. however, the general PC buying culture seems to be that the closer you can get to stock version of Windows, the better off you are. thus returning back to point #1.

they should have something nicer when their machines come with WebOS since that'll be their in house product through and through.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Umm why should they make a Magic Trackpad. Most people I know think of that object kind of gimmicy for desktop. It really does not add anything so there is no real motivation to build it. It kind of like Apple made a market for an item that there really is not a market for.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i really like how HP is called an "also-ran" ...

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

The magic mouse and trackpad is an acquired taste. The few people I know who use Macs can't stand them and prefer to use a standard USB ball mouse. Since I like to game a lot, and dual into Windows and Ubuntu a lot, I also rarely use my Magic Mouse. But I do like it at times.

Maybe in a few years... may be not. Who knows. But at the moment, the PC multitouchonamouseandtrackpad idea of Apple's isn't catching on anywhere else.

As for HP, they make more than computers. Their priorities are probably currently lying in shipping as many ePrint and Airprint enabled printers as possible.

14. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, I'm in that boat. I don't like the Magic Trackpad at all. I find it uncomfortable to use. On my Mini, I prefer to use the Logitech MX Revolution. I can program all the buttons to do stuff to mimic the gestures. Even on notebooks, I tend to use a Logitech MX Anywhere mouse, which also has some programmable buttons. Oh yeah, I also hate the Magic Mouse. It's uncomfortable and doesn't have enough buttons for me.

15. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

I love the magic trackpad on my MacBook Pro 13. However, I do get very annoyed when it doesn't respond well when my hands are moist and when the oils from my fingers disappear causing the trackpad not to work well, either.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never really developed a liking for a trackpad, while apple's magic trackpad is certainly much more functional then its competitors, the first thing I do when using my MBP, is pull out a bluetooth mouse.

17. shaun319 macrumors member

i love the trackpad on my macbook pro but have not tried the magic trackpad yet

18. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Wait, HP is an input peripheral company now ? So what if they don't make a trackpad that's HP branded... Apple doesn't make SAN Storage arrays or Blade servers and no one says they're not "on the ball". :rolleyes: