So why isn't iTunes just part of system preferences?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by orestes1984, Sep 27, 2014.

1. orestes1984, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

orestes1984 macrumors 65816

When are we actually going to see an iTunes daemon so that we don't need an active copy of iTunes running on a computer to run an iTunes server?

Why is Apple so backwards about things?

What makes it so difficult in all this time to just offer a proper server solution for iTunes given its immense popularity? It's about time iTunes stopped being so monolithic.

2. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

Agreed. I love Apple, but this is annoying. Because of this I use Plex.

3. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Where would it run then? On the Apple TV itself? iTunes is a server orientated program and has been for a long time.

The whole point of iTunes is to have a single centralized point from which all your media is hosted. One computer always running can host to several Apple TV's. It can host portable devices on the network. It can host to other iTunes programs running on other computers. It can act as a central hub for having iTunes Match. You can purchase a song or movie on your portable device and it will automatically download on your iTunes "server" which means it can then propagate to all your Apple TV's.

Media collections are getting too big to fit comfortably on 1 hard drive like you would suspect a small entertainment appliance like an Apple TV would hold (1st generation). And this isn't a new problem, it's been like that for several years. Sure they make 4TB or 6TB drives now, but do you want to trust that much data on one drive? That's means you'll either need internal space or have an external drive. Now your little Apple TV is not so little and needs to have a lot more extra features (complications). Move all that to a dedicated computer and don't worry about it when sitting at the TV.

iTunes is fantastic, you just have to work within its system. You do not want multiple instances of it running. I do have two instances of iTunes running in my house. One that hosts movies and one that hosts music. Two separate computers. It's not elegant.

4. orestes1984, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

If I were Apple I'd simply make a time capsule that holds lets say three hard drives and has an iTunes server daemon on it which you can access the front end from using your Apple TV. It would sell like hot cakes. People don't want to have to have a dedicated computer just to run iTunes.

The whole issue with iTunes is that it's far to monolithic in nature and it's accumulated too many things.

At first glance its an App Store and music/video store, the next thing you know it's a media player, then it's the back end for a home theatre, and then to top that off it's a backup utility, while also trying to be a server in and of itself.

It's a mess as a program entirely, it needs to be torn apart and rebuilt again, the HTPC back end should be a daemon that can be run in and of itself anywhere on a headless server, or on a NAS box such as a time machine.

You shouldn't need an entire computer in and of itself just to run an iTunes server, it's a waste of space and resources and I don't even want to get into the programer side issues of iTunes working with an app where the ability to add new features is lost among a growing list of complexities and annoyance, where bug fixes become a nightmare and resolving technical issues becomes horrendous.

iTunes simply tries to do too many things and in the end it just doesn't really do any of them well to any particular extent. It really needs to be broken down into a bunch of microservices and daemons.