Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franzmueller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
Spain
Hi kids

My Ibook G4 1,2 GHZ needs around 12-13 hours to convert a DVD with Handbrake for my itouch

Now... Why the hell my Macbook 2.4 GHz takes less than 1 hour for the same DVD ??

I was expecting that the new one takes around half of the time ...

Any good explanation ? Am I missing something ? really would like to understand it

Saludos

Franz

Spikeanator6982

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
well first off, your ibook is 1.4 Ghz and the Macbook is a Dual core 2.4. hence like having two processors which really helps the encoding of video. so not only is it processing at a faster rate, it is processing it with two cores which both are faster then the one in the ibook.

and..i would guess the dvd drive is faster.

franzmueller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
Spain
Hi

Thanks for your responses !! well ... I own around 150 DVD´s but only had a few loaded on Itunes cause it took so long and " most important " it was not so good using the ibook during this time .... then it took even longer ....

When I first got my blackbook ( 2 weeks ago ) I though ... ok it should be great if I could rip a few more DVD´s so I have more options to choose from but then I was amazed that in less than one hour it was over ....

Cool ... I can imagine in 4 years or so when I upgrade to my next book it may take what ! 5 minutes ? .. on the other hand .... maybe in that time there are no DVD´s anymore ....

Thanks

Saludos

Franz

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Remember, it's not just GHz. In this case, 2.4GHz is not twice as fast as 1.2GHz. You're dealing with PPC chips. There were G4s, then G5s. The G5s smoked the G4s. Then Core Duo came out. Those smoked the G5's. Then the Core 2 Duo came out, At the same clock speed it was something like 30% faster than the Core Duo 1. So you see, processors have gone through many generations since your G4 1.2. Many improvements have been made, not just a boost in clock speed. More cores, better, bigger cache, faster bus speeds, etc. So yes, a can totally see your C2D smoking your G4 12:1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.