So why the heck is iPhoto 550MB?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stu L Tissimus, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Stu L Tissimus macrumors newbie

I cannot fathom why it's so large. It's kind of blowing my mind. I mean, it's a photo organizer, there's only so much it can do, right?

2. WhiteNoiseMaker macrumors regular

WhiteNoiseMaker

Hmm 550MB is nothing, mine is just over 10GB :p

Its probably because its keeping the original image and any modified images, which can double the size if you modify all your photos.

3. Stu L Tissimus thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, so it actually stores you images inside the Applications folder? That seems a bit backwards...

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The map database files for the new Locations feature seem pretty large. Maybe they grow as you import pictures from different locations. Mine are nearly 150MB right now, and I have no iPhoto Library on this computer.

To see these files, right-click iPhoto.app, show package contents, and navigate to Contents/Resources. I have PointOfInterest.db and VectorMaps.db

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

No it doesn't store images in your App folder. I believe WhiteNoiseMaker was referring the the iPhoto Library (which is the repository for your images- whose default location is "/Users/your user name/Pictures" rather than the iPhoto application itself that I think you were asking about.

Some info about your pics (GPS info it seems at least, and I suspect some Faces info) is stored within the iPhoto application "package" which can contribute to the reported size of the app itself. Mine is currently at 372Mb while my default Library (that I have moved to another drive) is at 21.28Gb currently.

6. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I would normally agree.

I was getting ready to say that was exactly right but I decided to look at the size of mine just for fun and realized it's only 77Mb! I opened the package contense up, and all my pictures were inside! So then I open iPhoto up and under info it says I have 2,664 pictures worth 2.2Gb. Anyone know why this is?

7. Stu L Tissimus thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha! I found the main offender. Contents/Resources/Themes takes up 400MB! :mad:

*delete* :D

8. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That sounds like all the books, calendars, and cards you can make with your photos. I hope you never use that feature.

Although others are reporting smaller sizes for the app (mine is 176 MB) so it sounds like you erased something that's growing over time. What has been put in there, I couldn't say! I'm glad you feel comfortable to erase things that you don't know what they are. That's to scary for me!

10. Stu L Tissimus thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh come on, give me a little credit! :rolleyes:

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

What version of iPhoto are you using for curiosity? I just took a look at one with the iLife 08 version and one with the iLife 09 version and neither had a Themes folder in /contents/resources in their packages. I looked at an iLife 06 one that had a small "Themes" folder there (something like 150Mb), but no later ones.